• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP and avicularia question

SullivanC

Hi thank you so much for reading this :) I have lasiodora parahybana she was eating regularly normally but she stopped eating for long time now but when I drop food for her now she acts like she will eat it she even puts her mouth next to food but immediately leaves it alone after that, people now might be telling me that she is in premolt but her abdomen has no dark patch on it so that is one thing I wanted to tell and next thing is I have avicularia avicularia metallica that just molted and her fangs are black and looks to be hardened as well but she does not accept food, when I got her she was already adult so it is very obvious she is old female now and the fact that she just molted but not hungry for a food is very concerning, what should I do for these 2 species? any help is appreciated! :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi thank you so much for reading this :) I have lasiodora parahybana she was eating regularly normally but she stopped eating for long time now but when I drop food for her now she acts like she will eat it she even puts her mouth next to food but immediately leaves it alone after that, people now might be telling me that she is in premolt but her abdomen has no dark patch on it so that is one thing I wanted to tell and next thing is I have avicularia avicularia metallica that just molted and her fangs are black and looks to be hardened as well but she does not accept food, when I got her she was already adult so it is very obvious she is old female now and the fact that she just molted but not hungry for a food is very concerning, what should I do for these 2 species? any help is appreciated! :)
Hi - avics can be slow to eat after a moult so I wouldn't worry about that at all just try now and then she will eat when ready.
As for the lasiodora - our biggest one went a few months without eating then moulted and there was no visable pre moult signs.
So as long as they have water they will be fine try not to worry :)

SullivanC

Hi - avics can be slow to eat after a moult so I wouldn't worry about that at all just try now and then she will eat when ready.
As for the lasiodora - our biggest one went a few months without eating then moulted and there was no visable pre moult signs.
So as long as they have water they will be fine try not to worry :)
Thank you so much for your reply :) yes she has her water dish full at all times and avicularia's abdomen is very small after the molt so I assumed she would be very hungry considering the size of her abdomen is but if you had adult avicularia how long did it take for him or her to accept food again after molt?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you so much for your reply :) yes she has her water dish full at all times and avicularia's abdomen is very small after the molt so I assumed she would be very hungry considering the size of her abdomen is but if you had adult avicularia how long did it take for him or her to accept food again after molt?
No worries :)
It's taken up to 3 weeks before for avics to start eating - so keep trying you can also switch up feeders,
Our arboreals mainly seem to enjoy locusts, but you can try silkworms, morio worms and so on as some find certain things more tempting than others.
Good luck :)

SullivanC

No worries :)
It's taken up to 3 weeks before for avics to start eating - so keep trying you can also switch up feeders,
Our arboreals mainly seem to enjoy locusts, but you can try silkworms, morio worms and so on as some find certain things more tempting than others.
Good luck :)
Thank you so much :) she still refuse eating but I will try different foods, she had no problems taking superworms before but now she walks away from it so I dont know if she changed the type of food she prefers

Latest posts