• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loss in my small T family

Nunua

3 Year Member
I have suffered from moderate depression lately and have had no energy to pay attention to my slings several times a week as I should've and usually do... Unfortunately this ended up in a tragedy as I found my Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan dead from dehydration today... Poor little thing had curled up in its primary water dish... It had two water dishes because the primary one was often webbed shut, but I never checked if it was actually utilizing the second one.... Apparently not.

I just feel horrible... I know the most of us have casualties in the hobby, but this was nothing but my fault... It had molted 8 days ago so I should have paid extra care of both of its dishes...

Last edited:

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
No one is perfect, and sadly, I have found myself in that position too. In my opinion, everyone has had a season in their lives where the hobby couldn’t be a priority. Anyone that says their husbandry has been perfect 100% of the time is a full of crap. So try not to beat yourself up about it, taking care of you is the most important thing.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I second what @FishermanSteve says. Yes, it's a horrible thing to happen but having suffered spells of depression myself the worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over this. It's not what's happened but how you deal with it that matters now. You need to turn it into a positive for the future. I know that may sound trite but it's actually hugely important, as depression just leads to and feeds off constant negative thoughts.

You're not the only one this has happened to and you won't be the last, but just by sharing your experience, you may cause someone to check on their slings, and that's exactly what this forum is for.

Sending you love and hugs from Wales :)

Nunua

3 Year Member
Thank you for the kind words everyone.. It's such bummer to lose that sling because it was one of the most curious one and didn't mind about rehousing or anything - Just started webbing instantly, creating it's own lair.

Latest posts