• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little Critters in Enclosure.

AndrewZ757

3 Year Member
So i have a P. Regalis that i am assuming o be in premolt. She has enclosed herself in her cork bark hide with a mixture of web and substrate. Nowhere is the and opening. She has been enclosed in there for nearly 2 weeks, maybe a little more than. I have checked on her a few times and shes always just sitting on the side of the bark. Today, i noticed very small, what i thought to be mites, zooming around the glass inside of her enclosure. I saw 4 tops. I forced one out of the enclosure and it flew away. so it may be fruit flies? Anyway, i use a mix of potting soil and vermiculite and i have a live plant in the enclosure. Are fruit flies, or whatever these tiny flying things are, be a danger to a spider in pre molt?

AndrewZ757

3 Year Member
So i just located a dead cricket that burrowed itself into the ground wedged between the glass and the bark. i cannot remove it without disturbing the molting process. Unless there is immediate danger to the spider, then i would do so.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Remove the dead cricket or just ventilate her enclosure well so the smell doesn't build up and attract other insects. Your spider is soft, moist and will have some kind of smell right after molting, those bugs might try to taste your newly molt

AndrewZ757

3 Year Member
It about 4 inches. It was feeding. Im guessing it didnt eat its last meal in preparation to premolt, about two weeks ago.

AndrewZ757

3 Year Member
ok so idk if i wasnt looking hard enough the past few times i checked, or if she just did it, but i just confirmed the molt. I covered the cricket with substrate as i could, it really chose the worst place to die. Im not seeing anymore fruit flies at this point.

GTarantula

3 Year Member
I've had those. I air things out for a day or so and they go away. They never bothered any reptiles I've kept in the past so yeah like Hungryghost said...They won't pose a threat. They don't even bite.

Latest posts