• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Limb regeneration

Randal M.

Hello,
My little P. Regalis came to me with 7 legs. It has molted for the first time, in my care, and has started to regenerate its missing leg. However this new leg is not only smaller, it looks to be of no use and a little weird looking. Will it continue to grow a bigger version of this "bum wheel"? Or will it molt a bigger useful version? I'm just wondering if in order to grow a new good leg, does this bad one need amputation. Ty, very much for any advice. Sorry if I'm not posting this correctly, I'm new to T's and forums.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We have had a few T's with 7 legs, having purchased a few of The Spider Shops excellent gimp mystery boxes.

What has happened with all of ours is that the first molt has produced a leg that is thin. But the second molt has produced a leg which is indistinguishable from the other 7.

Randal M.

We have had a few T's with 7 legs, having purchased a few of The Spider Shops excellent gimp mystery boxes.

What has happened with all of ours is that the first molt has produced a leg that is thin. But the second molt has produced a leg which is indistinguishable from the tyvm

What has happened with all of ours is that the first molt has produced a leg that is thin. But the second molt has produced a leg which is indistinguishable from the other 7.
Thank you very much for your reply. It also puts me at ease know that this is coming from a person with experience in this exact circumstance. I guess I'll know something soon enough when it molts again. Can't imagine that being too far off considering the lil regalis is only about 1.5" right now.

tarantulas118

From what I know is that with every moult the leg keeps growing bigger and bigger I mean if you lost your leg and we were able to grow it back where would we hide a full leg? So there is no neeed to amputate just wait until future moults and it will be sure to have a full leg

Randal M.

From what I know is that with every moult the leg keeps growing bigger and bigger I mean if you lost your leg and we were able to grow it back where would we hide a full leg? So there is no neeed to amputate just wait until future moults and it will be sure to have a full leg
Thank you for your input. I'm pretty confident that it will continue to grow. My major concern is whether or not the new legs will continue to be deformed. I'm thinking that the new tiny limb is only deformed because it's been regenerated under the exoskeleton with no area of it's own to take proper form. So I'm hoping it will not only grow but have full function in further molts. I'll be happy to post what I find out, if the info seems useful. I won't post an update if it's simply just another example of the current status quo. Thnx so much for the replies. I really am enjoying this hobby and the support from the community.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's some regeneration photos...
Missing leg
20200822_094042.jpg
20200407_165453.jpg

First regeneration molt
20200624_192621.jpg
20200624_194755.jpg

2nd and final regeneration molt
20210120_182043.jpg
20210120_182106.jpg
20210120_182022.jpg

timc

3 Year Member
If the new leg is indeed hindering the spider in any way, it’ll remove it itself. (This is very stressful for the spider and if this happens keep interactions to an absolute bare minimum. Try not to feed for a couple weeks, provide water only as necessary. She’ll need time to recover.) Good luck.

Randal M.

If the new leg is indeed hindering the spider in any way, it’ll remove it itself. (This is very stressful for the spider and if this happens keep interactions to an absolute bare minimum. Try not to feed for a couple weeks, provide water only as necessary. She’ll need

If the new leg is indeed hindering the spider in any way, it’ll remove it itself. (This is very stressful for the spider and if this happens keep interactions to an absolute bare minimum. Try not to feed for a couple weeks, provide water only as necessary. She’ll need time to recover.) Good luck.
Tyvm for taking time to reply. I'm new to T's so I'm definitely new to troubleshooting. The limb it currently has is completely lame as far as I can tell. I was wondering if it would be in the T's best interest to amputate in order to try and regenerate a functioning leg. I'm glad the T will make that decision for itself considering that I don't even know if I could bring myself to do that. Either way, I was gonna wait until it was a fully regened leg and then see what's, what. Also, were talking about a teenie tiny 1.5" regalis so I don't wanna even address it until it's bigger tbh. It's already gonna molt what, every month for the next 5 or 6 months.. I don't want to throw extra challenges at it. Again thank you very much. I feel like this answer directly encompasses my exact situation. I'm just gonna let it do its thing. And it seems to do that very well, bum wheel n all. Ty

Randal M.

Tyvm for taking time to reply. I'm new to T's so I'm definitely new to troubleshooting. The limb it currently has is completely lame as far as I can tell. I was wondering if it would be in the T's best interest to amputate in order to try and regenerate a functioning leg. I'm glad the T will make that decision for itself considering that I don't even know if I could bring myself to do that. Either way, I was gonna wait until it was a fully regened leg and then see what's, what. Also, were talking about a teenie tiny 1.5" regalis so I don't wanna even address it until it's bigger tbh. It's already gonna molt what, every month for the next 5 or 6 months.. I don't want to throw extra challenges at it. Again thank you very much. I feel like this answer directly encompasses my exact situation. I'm just gonna let it do its thing. And it seems to do that very well, bum
Still no molt. I'm shocked. It hasn't eaten in a very long time either. It is very active though. Its always chilling out where i can see it and if I vibrate the enclosure whatsoever ever, it will bolt to its hide, so I know it's alert and very much ready for action. But we're talking, a 1.5" sling that's not molted in like 6 months.. how's this sound to you? Other than not molting, it seems fine. I almost feel like there's a super growth spirt about to unveiled but maybe I'm just an optimist. Could this be just a long premolt or is this like.. "no way dude, it's definitely something wrong."? I appreciate any input.

Latest posts