• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lights (Reptile, Basking, Day/Night) or Ceramic Heat Emitter? Help.

silentarantula

3 Year Member
as i'm a new arachnids hobbyist. i already visualized my "one year later" arachnids room which i already have a room to convert into. it will have space heater, fans, humidifier in that room. i can't do that now just for small space of collection.

but speaking of now, the reality... i have tarantulas and scorpions that can fit a small folding table, 4 or 5 feet wide. most of tarantulas are still in deli cups (5oz. to 32oz.) and an adult female. my scorpions are in two separated 10 gallon aquarium tank. right now they are just scattered around my second kitchen counter with two inflared heat red lamp - 40w which currently put 82s degree a foot high from counter and goes 76s when i raise the lamps toward 18 inches higher.

would a light or heat emitter well-above the table have enough heat to feed that open space? should i add small "mimicking" plywood as a wall on sides of folding table to keep heat toward the tarantulas/scorpions? should i amped up higher (50-75 watts to feed heat alone 4 feet space)?

hope i explain it clear way i try to ask.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most tarantulas don't need a separate heat source, if your room is warm enough for you then it's warm enough for them. If their room is particularly cold you could use a room heater but an overhead light/heat emitter will dry their containers out very quickly.

silentarantula

3 Year Member
Most tarantulas don't need a separate heat source, if your room is warm enough for you then it's warm enough for them. If their room is particularly cold you could use a room heater but an overhead light/heat emitter will dry their containers out very quickly.

i live in basement, and it's cold right now. but it will be no problem at spring to fall time anyway. i just want to put in one space instead taking over my basement's kitchen counter, lol. i do have a space heater but it's pretty "warm" when the room is 80 degree during the day in a room i am in most of the day. just kinda want minimize the heating source in the room where the tarantulas are now. (as i'm slowly converting a guest/storage room into "cold blooded room" which would be great for my space heater to heat up whole room.

guess a smaller heater is what i need to buy at weakest to lessen heat up the whole room but direct to the arachnids table.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I went all last winter with no central heating, the whole house was freezing apart from the living room where my Ts are and all I had in there was a convector heater that was on all day but off at night and it was surprising how much heat was retained in that room overnight (curtains drawn and door shut)