• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

latrodectus heperus

cameron137

3 Year Member
so Ken the bug guy sells black widow spiders. How is that even legal. If you got bit by any beginner t. You'll be fine, but if you get bit by that you go to the hospital or die. I kinda want one.

timc

3 Year Member
so Ken the bug guy sells black widow spiders. How is that even legal. If you got bit by any beginner t. You'll be fine, but if you get bit by that you go to the hospital or die. I kinda want one.
I mean, it's a native species so in a lot of places there's nothing really stopping someone from going out, finding one, catching it and keeping it anyway. I would just hope if someone is interested enough they'll take all the proper precautions. I personally do not want one.

cameron137

3 Year Member
I mean, it's a native species so in a lot of places there's nothing really stopping someone from going out, finding one, catching it and keeping it anyway. I would just hope if someone is interested enough they'll take all the proper precautions. I personally do not want one.
yeah there native where I live, but I've only ever seen one my whole life.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless your allergic to the venom, are a young child or elderly, or just plain stupid and don't get it treated, you won't die. I've had a bite from a pissed of wild female and i'm still here ;) was miserable though - stiff joint near the bite and sick for a few days, either from the bite or the antivenin, not sure which.

Spideyfan101

3 Year Member
I know a great deal about the L Hesperus they are very easy to keep. Just know they stink pretty bad. And as long you don't piss her of she'll leave you alone, bite wise. And you only need to feed them once a month or so. Fun to feed them different things each time as they kill and eat each prey differently.

cameron137

3 Year Member
I know a great deal about the L Hesperus they are very easy to keep. Just know they stink pretty bad. And as long you don't piss her of she'll leave you alone, bite wise. And you only need to feed them once a month or so. Fun to feed them different things each time as they kill and eat each prey differently.
that's awesome, but why do they stink? Could you give me some info on housing?

Spideyfan101

3 Year Member
I'm going to do 2 post one on temp. One on the enclosure. Kinda depends on where you live regarding the temp\humidity the Hesperus is native here in Reno, Nevada. The humidity is pretty low when they're out and about, I've seen it as low as 9 percent. And the temp doesn't really matter as long as it's not freezing.

Last edited:

Spideyfan101

3 Year Member
Now as for the enclosure, if you're not too afraid of getting pretty close to them a critter keeper will work fine they are just right there when you open the lid. I kept all mine in one, I had used the same one over and over. If you want to be on the safer side get something that you can feed them where the bottom opens. They like to be high up in there hiding. Use a stick with some fake leaves or something so she can hide. Make sure a little but long stick they make a lot of web, one of mine even managed to pull the stick off the ground and suspend it. I never put any substrate in mine, because they almost never go on the ground. But you can if you want to just make sure it's bone dry, no need for any water either hey get what they need from their prey. Oh and they smell pretty bad like ammonia, I think they do it to attract prey.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The most exciting thing this study tells us is that spiders can make decisions about how to respond to threats (which sometimes include humans) – further evidence of their incredible sophistication.
They're not so stupid after all.

Tells me the bite I got as a teen may not have been a wet bite so the sickness was probably from the antivenin. But then again the spider was between my jacket cuff and wrist so it could have been a last resort bite thinking it was being crushed and given me a lot of venom that made me sick. Either way that's a good read.

Latest posts