• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L dificillis

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just thought I'd share this. I have a Lasiodora dificillis that's about 3-4 inch dls, a very fast grower that I've had since it was a 1/2 inch sling. Still unsexed because it hides when it molts and destroys the evidence. Anyway, this little spider has always been skittish, but lately has taken to threat posing whenever I open the enclosure. Last night before work I was changing her water and she started actually striking at the ground, and I noticed venom was literally dripping from both fangs. There was so much it looked like she was drooling..amazing thing to see. Obviously this has endeared her to me, lmao. I have a few defensive tarantulas, and a psycho juvie male G pulchripes that actively tries to bite me, but I've never seen this before, venom dripping, the AMOUNT of venom dripping was insane..anyone else have a spider that does this? I'm thinking of naming her Venom, of course :) I hope this one's female, she's a keeper. It will be interesting to see if she calms down as she grows. She's by far the fastest growing T in my collection.

timc

3 Year Member
That's very interesting...I've only ever seen little drops of venom on the tip of the fangs of an OBT, which was pretty cool. Video her next time and hope she does it again!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just tried to get a picture, and of course, she just sat there, Lol
IMG_20151119_213812.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a T. blondi/stirmi (not sure which) about 15 years ago that did that... nasty devil. I loved him til his dying day. :)
This is new behavior for her..I'm curious why she made such a drastic change and I never knew venom could just start dripping out like that. Very strange, but interesting. If she's like this at full size she should make for an impressively horrifying display spider :) I'm going to leave her alone for awhile and then try to get video of it on my day off.

Latest posts