• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

King baboon enclosure

SullivanC

If I use exoterra faunarium medium for a juvenile king baboon is it possible to keep the substrate moist at all times without covering any of the ventilation holes?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You would do better to just buy a deep plastic storage tub from any store and just make a few holes in it.
P. Muticus like deep slightly moist substrate which will not keep the moisture if housed in a faunarium I'm afraid.

SullivanC

You would do better to just buy a deep plastic storage tub from any store and just make a few holes in it.
P. Muticus like deep slightly moist substrate which will not keep the moisture if housed in a faunarium I'm afraid.
I cant find one thats proper size for a small juvenile.. I have been looking for a long time for what you described but cant find anything like that.. the reason why I am going for faunarium is thats the best I could find, for a terrestrial and arboreal finding enclosure is much easier than it is for fossorials. If I mist it regularly critter keeper cage wouldnt be issue right?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cant find one thats proper size for a small juvenile.. I have been looking for a long time for what you described but cant find anything like that.. the reason why I am going for faunarium is thats the best I could find, for a terrestrial and arboreal finding enclosure is much easier than it is for fossorials. If I mist it regularly critter keeper cage wouldnt be issue right?
Sure you can try to cover up some of the ventilation to hold the humidity in a bit better.
Best thing is if you just dampen down the sub every few days (you should be able to see the moisture in the lower levels) if you see it starting to dry then just wet it down again.
Not really worth misting the surface as it will evaporate quickly.
I'm pleased that you are actually looking to keep your p. Muticus with some moisture as a lot of keepers mistakenly keep them too dry thinking that's what they need to be kept like because they are from Africa when in reality they live in areas that often flood.

SullivanC

Sure you can try to cover up some of the ventilation to hold the humidity in a bit better.
Best thing is if you just dampen down the sub every few days (you should be able to see the moisture in the lower levels) if you see it starting to dry then just wet it down again.
Not really worth misting the surface as it will evaporate quickly.
I'm pleased that you are actually looking to keep your p. Muticus with some moisture as a lot of keepers mistakenly keep them too dry thinking that's what they need to be kept like because they are from Africa when in reality they live in areas that often flood.
I have been looking at plastic containers but they are either really really big or really small and the plastic containers I found that was perfect length did not have good enough height.. I did find great containers for adults but no luck for juveniles, only sling and adults have containers that are easy to find for fossorials. What enclosure do you use for juvenile fossorials? :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We use something that's 5.6ltr which translates 5.9 quartz in American sizing I will post a picture.
These are just cheap containers that do the job well :)

SullivanC

We use something that's 5.6ltr which translates 5.9 quartz in American sizing I will post a picture.
These are just cheap containers that do the job well :)
Yes cheap containers are always good :) I found so many containers that would be perfect for king baboon but sadly their height was too short so she wouldnt have enough space to burrow thats why only option I seem to have is using faunarium until someone can help me find a link where are great containers that would make good king baboon enclosure :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMG_20221022_022223.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will look up those enclosures online, are you able to see the tarantula that is in burrow with these enclosures? :)
You can to an extent - but it's more a case of making out a silhouette rather than clearly seeing the spider inside as they are not completely clear.
That said some make burrow where you will be unable to see them anyway.
I hope you find something suitable :)

SullivanC

You can to an extent - but it's more a case of making out a silhouette rather than clearly seeing the spider inside as they are not completely clear.
That said some make burrow where you will be unable to see them anyway.
I hope you find something suitable :)
I like to be able to monitor the spider's actions even when they are inside a tunnel so I can be sure they are doing well :) do they have transparent style containers?

Poke a hole down along side one corner of the enclosure and water. It will go either to a dryer side or the moist whichever it prefers.
Because they do get a nice size and are usually pretty grumpy.i honestly give em 8 to 9 inches of substrate.
Ime if you want a chance at all to see it. Feed small meals often but only when you see toes at it's burrow.
It will blow your mind how much bigger it will be and you suddenly see it out fully six months later.

SullivanC

Poke a hole down along side one corner of the enclosure and water. It will go either to a dryer side or the moist whichever it prefers.
Because they do get a nice size and are usually pretty grumpy.i honestly give em 8 to 9 inches of substrate.
Ime if you want a chance at all to see it. Feed small meals often but only when you see toes at it's burrow.
It will blow your mind how much bigger it will be and you suddenly see it out fully six months later.
Yeah I did find plastic containers in stores I went to but height was either too short for a fossorial species or length was way too big for a small juvenile and I couldnt find one thats perfect but critter keeper cages have more ventilation holes than its needed so I have to soak the substrate often I guess but its fine I'll add moss also to help with humidity abit more

Latest posts