• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just rehoused my first OW today!

<3ley

I’ve heard so many horror stories I was absolutely terrified to rehouse my first old world. I’m happy to report that both the T and I are safe! It went into hiding almost immediately and I don’t want to bother it, so here’s the only decent picture I have… a heavily edited one of it in the container it was sold to me in so it’s even a little visible. Not great but it’s what I have.
IMG_5931.jpeg

M balfouri has been my dream tarantula for a long time and I’ve been sitting on getting one for years now, ever since I got my first T it was on my list, but I wanted to wait the better part of a few good years with tarantulas before I even considered it.

My plan was to do the rehouse in my bathroom, place the containers in my shower and cover the drain (realistically, I don’t think the T could have squeezed through there, but you never know with these crafty guys) and handle the rehouse from there, just so any bolting would be in a pretty contained space with no true escape routes. The old container was too big to fit flush against any opening I made though, without leaving an unwanted gap, but clearly I was way misjudging my balfouri which blessedly became very passive when the lid was taken off and I was able to guide it into the new enclosure without any trouble. Thank god. No bolting. And now my new OW is in an enclosure it won’t outgrow for a while. Now to see what the appetite will be like in a few weeks… here’s hoping it’s nothing like my brachy that I have to constantly take rotted mealworm carcasses out of the enclosure of because it’s always ignoring food.

GarField000

3 Year Member
I had to rehouse my M.balfouri communal just a week or so ago :).
They all behave great. I could cup them one by one and put them in their new home.
Nothing weird or bolting happend.

Latest posts