• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

just my luck...

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Was gone today for a good little while, about six hours or so, taking care of business, came home to ants attacking my spiderlings!!
Rehoused every one,
placed them into a larger container and completely wrapped it in breathable thin cloth, problem is my little Idiothele mira has cast three legs. THREE!!!!
Poor baby, I redid everything, made a burrow under a cork arch for it so it feels secure and it seems ok, cross fingers for me tho guys, feel like the absolute worst spider mom ever :(

ALD

3 Year Member
Was gone today for a good little while, about six hours or so, taking care of business, came home to ants attacking my spiderlings!!
Rehoused every one,
placed them into a larger container and completely wrapped it in breathable thin cloth, problem is my little Idiothele mira has cast three legs. THREE!!!!
Poor baby, I redid everything, made a burrow under a cork arch for it so it feels secure and it seems ok, cross fingers for me tho guys, feel like the absolute worst spider mom ever :(
Oh no!!! Good job rehousing. You did all you can do. Things happen. I would be upset too :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh, no. We all know you're a great spider mom and you've done your best to deal with those horrid ants, you can't guard them 24/7. Fingers crossed the I. mira will pull through.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sending good vibes to your sling now. As long as she can continue feeding, the legs will regenerate within the next few molts.

Just keep that water dish nice and full.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sending good vibes to your sling now. As long as she can continue feeding, the legs will regenerate within the next few molts.

Just keep that water dish nice and full.
Thanks hun. I honestly do realize. Not a new keeper just was on a health hiatus. Just so damn upset for the poor thing. Should have could have would have doesn’t help now tho :/
Keep the good vibes coming my way!
Stumps appreciates it too ^^

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
poor thing .

0rc20uX.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both palps and fangs appear intact. Enough limbs remain for it to move ok.

I think he or she will pull through most likely. I would feed slower moving feeders so as not to tax the remaining limbs even more.

Meal worms, the occasional very small earth worm and tiny roaches are probably the best way to go forward. I like feeding a wide variety of food to minimize any nutritional short comings and increase growth.

This is just my best guess.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, front all appears to be okay,
movement though, well...thats seriously a joke, poor little wobbles, I think I may name this baby Weeble, for the old child's toy, weebles wobble but they don't fall down. This baby is getting pre-killed goodies for the moment, I am used to being a bug butcher for the tiny ones, have raised quite few itty bitty's.

lol cant see any fangs in that image silly, thing is tiny, that image is way way blown up.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as it's eating and eating a lot, that's good. Raising temps raises metabolism and can also speed up healing but must be done safely.

I have a video I can PM you for that.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as it's eating and eating a lot, that's good. Raising temps raises metabolism and can also speed up healing but must be done safely.

I have a video I can PM you for that.
Much appreciated and I thank you for for the offer, be glad to take a look.
Feel it only fair to tell you I don't use any types of heat strips mats etc. Nor do I plan to do so.
I'm not going to keep a vast collection this time, probably about 20 max.
I keep a good quality space heater in my room for winter weather, other then that I don't use external heaters.
My little ones are in a nice toasty part of the room, offered food often, and all have water dishes but the
smallest enclosures that I cannot fit one into. They get a drop on the side or in a plastic leaf etc, FIRM believer in water for all of them.
I have been accused in the past of keeping my babies a bit fat, but, thats how I prefer them.
This wasn't so much asking for what to do, I know full well that it is going to regenerate its legs, etc etc.
Problem is, I know ants are an issue in this part of the country and I am eaten up with guilt that it happened at all , take total responsibility for it, I should have taken better precautions.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update, I mira ate last night, ate well I might add, still looked horrible by my estimation, but alive and eating, lo' and behold, during morning checks today! I found it doing spider yoga, fresh molt on the ground, stubby is now EIGHT legged once again,
edit: and huge I might add, big growth spurt, loves its stunned pinhead crickets I guess))
Time for a new name maybe, suggestions?
henceforth Lucky (s)he shall be ^.~ in Danish --Heldig--
2OeJZeSl.jpg
3DlkkD4l.jpg

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Update, I mira ate last night, ate well I might add, still looked horrible by my estimation, but alive and eating, lo' and behold, during morning checks today! I found it doing spider yoga, fresh molt on the ground, stubby is now EIGHT legged once again,

Time for a new name maybe, suggestions?
2OeJZeSl.jpg
3DlkkD4l.jpg

That's great news, it's amazing how quickly they grow them back at that size. As for a name Lucky seems apt :rolleyes::)

Latest posts