• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's been 3 days trying to molt. Is it stuck?

Ambrose21

20220223_232352.jpg

Ambrose21

I put a warm wet cloth in the container to bring up the humidity. But it's been like this for a while. It's my son's tarantula and I don't know much. He said don't disturb it at all but seems like a long time. It's first molt. Mexican red knee. I'm upset with my son's lack of concern and tarantula husbandry.

Ambrose21

I put a warm wet cloth in the container to bring up the humidity. But it's been like this for a while. It's my son's tarantula and I don't know much. He said don't disturb it at all but seems like a long time. It's first molt. Mexican red knee. I'm upset with my son's lack of concern and tarantula husbandry.
It seems like it's face is stuck.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Raising the humidity isn't going to help the spider molt. It's the moisture within the spider that is pumped out between the new and old exoskeletons that helps them molt. It is more then likely a dehydration/diet problem. The substrate looks hideous as well, many wood products are toxic to invertebrates and other bugs. Topsoil and Coco-fibre are much better substrates.

Ambrose21

Raising the humidity isn't going to help the spider molt. It's the moisture within the spider that is pumped out between the new and old exoskeletons that helps them molt. It is more then likely a dehydration/diet problem. The substrate looks hideous as well, many wood products are toxic to invertebrates and other bugs. Topsoil and Coco-fibre are much better substrates.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So just wait it out or could he provide water to the tarantula to drink?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So just wait it out or could he provide water to the tarantula to drink?
If it's been stuck for three days it's stuck for good. The new exo is hardening or already hardened inside the old. If the fangs and mouth are stuck it's truly over. Personally if its still alive I'd feed it to another T to end it's struggle.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok thanks. I kind of thought that but was holding out hope.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hard lesson to learn, but it happens. Best to your son on the probable loss.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He is very upset. He thought by not disturbing it was the best choice and thought because it was it's first molt it would take longer.
Yes sorry about it. Losing a tarantula is hard.

If he/you should try again let us know. There are a lot of well versed tarantula keepers here. It is a very good resource, although reading up and researching on my own helped me too.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He is very upset. He thought by not disturbing it was the best choice and thought because it was it's first molt it would take longer.
He was right, it's best to leave it alone. Definitely not the spiders first molt either. There's nothing really you could do to help it anyways. This happens sometimes but it's hard to know if the spider has enough hydration to make it. All we can do is make sure it has it available. I always recommend a adult/ large juvenile spider for a first time hobbiest. This way it's well past the delicate stages of life. It also keeps keepers from being discouraged.

x_raphael_xx

You should definately leave it alone when its molting.

Unfortunately this just sometimes happens, there isn't anything you can do to prevent it or help.
Make sure there is always drinking water available (my water dishes are usually just bottle caps)

I agree with arachnoclown, adults or large juvis are good for beginners. I've lost 2 small slings for seemingly no reason at all.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
More developed tarantulas for the beginner for sure. I think Tom Moran has been saying for years a minimum of more than an inch. Even larger ones showing full colors would be more desirable for newcomers who want something to look at, admire and care for. When I was considering tarantulas I envisioned a full bodied specimen.

Having said that, I ended up with a 1.25-1.5 inch sling as my first T and despite my early fears expressed on this forum that I thought she might be dying ( she climbed the wall and stopped moving) she is doing well about 10 months later. And I am glad I got that size. This is my first picture of her, I sent this to my sister who does not like spiders.

image.jpg

Abieverson1

This guy just slates on everyones post. The name suits you! CLOWN!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This guy just slates on everyones post. The name suits you! CLOWN!
He has decades of experience with tarantulas so he is very strong advocate for the care of spiders. I have only kept them 10 months or so and I am still learning. But there should be some basics, such as substrate and water that should be understood before a tarantula ever steps foot into an enclosure. Maybe it was done in this case, maybe not.

Latest posts