• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it normal for Brazilian White knee to eat carrion?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's ok to feed the larger Ts on pinkie mice occasionally as a treat but only a couple of times a year.
On the down side they don't supply much goodness for them and the bolus will smell vile.

x_raphael_xx

It's ok to feed the larger Ts on pinkie mice occasionally as a treat but only a couple of times a year.
On the down side they don't supply much goodness for them and the bolus will smell vile.
My snake refused his mouse and I was tempted to offer it to the golaith...decided the resulting gross mess wouldn't be worth it and just lobbed the mouse (it was too big for my pacman, who sometimes get the pinkies the baby noodle refused)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My snake refused his mouse and I was tempted to offer it to the golaith...decided the resulting gross mess wouldn't be worth it and just lobbed the mouse (it was too big for my pacman, who sometimes get the pinkies the baby noodle refused)

One of my cats is partial to the odd mouse my snake refuses. They also do a great job of eating any escaped crickets.

arachbiodude

Yes, but will this tarantula in the wild eat a dead mouse or vole or small mammal? There was no mess from the first mouse it ate. I looked for it. Once it liquifies the insides with venom, the resulting liquid would be nutritious. You have calcium in the bones and all that good stuff in the organs. The spider knows what it can eat.

tarantulas118

Yes, but will this tarantula in the wild eat a dead mouse or vole or small mammal? There was no mess from the first mouse it ate. I looked for it. Once it liquifies the insides with venom, the resulting liquid would be nutritious. You have calcium in the bones and all that good stuff in the organs. The spider knows what it can eat.
I mean, I don’t see why not! They seem to scavenge other prey items when they’re younger but I’m sure if they were hungry enough they would go out and eat what they can find