• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is a 5 gallon tank too big for a brazilian black tarantula with legspan 2.5 cm?

pavlos

3 Year Member
i just ordered a brazilian black tarantula and his legspan is 2.5 cm. And im scared that it might climb and fall and die. Any suggestions? Im new to this forum by the way. First post :)

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
Tarantulas are perfectly fine in an enclosure that is at least twice the leg span in dimensions. E.g. if I have a G.rosea with a legspan of 5 inch it will be perfectly fine in a 10x10x10.

pavlos

3 Year Member
I know that but i think it might be to big for him. I guess it will be fine, but i have my doubts.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as they are able to find and capture their food, no size is to big horizontally. The concern would be height in the event of a fall. You are fine with that size enclosure for a 5" T.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
As long as they are able to find and capture their food, no size is to big horizontally. The concern would be height in the event of a fall. You are fine with that size enclosure for a 5" T.
Agree with Denny Dee 100%.
Feeding live prey, such as crickets or S. laterlis, won't be a problem. They wander the enclosure and soon become food, if your T is hungry.
To put enclosure size in perspective (not including substrate) for a terrestrial: Height = 1-1 1/2X Width= 2-3X Length= 3-4X (X= length of T).
If you were 6' tall, would a house (only 1 room) 12'X12'X6' be suitable? Bear in mind, your bed, kitchen and bathroom furniture is also in there.
Larger is better! [emoji6]

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Natural selection being what it is, I'm sure many tarantulas die from falls in the wild or become food for something else.

As far as husbandry and successful pet keeping go, we want to keep our pets in as properly sized enclosure as we can in an attempt to simulate a naturalistic environment with minimal risk.

Pet stores want to move product and are often uninformed as to what is best practice or best for the pets they sell.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum :D

pavlos

3 Year Member
Natural selection being what it is, I'm sure many tarantulas die from falls in the wild or become food for something else.

As far as husbandry and successful pet keeping go, we want to keep our pets in as properly sized enclosure as we can in an attempt to simulate a naturalistic environment with minimal risk.

Pet stores want to move product and are often uninformed as to what is best practice or best for the pets they sell.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum :D
thanks :D i found a smaller enclosure for my baby T though, i hope i can work it out. I'll upload a picture of the T like a week after it's arrival :)

Latest posts