• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introduction (and a question!)

babybrie

Hi All!
My names Anya and I'm from the UK! Lovely to join you all here.

I have had tarantulas only since the past year or so- I initially had a beautiful (I believe mature) golden knee called Daisy. She was my first pet that I got to keep me company since moving away from home, and she made me (previously arachnophobic) absolutely fall in love with T's! Sadly she passed after a difficult molt, but my continued love for tarantulas has me now with a Mexican Red Knee called Baby, and a Curly Hair named Brie. I've had them both since slings/youngsters and I love their opposite personalities (PS No idea if any of my spiders have ever actually been female. Just decided they are lol)

Since Brie's latest molt, I've noticed these seemingly additional(?) segments that I've never noticed before. Is it normal? What are they? I haven't had any luck with some very basic googling and would love to know. Have a very blurry photo below with this bit circled, and some pics of Brie, Baby, and Daisy ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3901.jpeg
    IMG_3901.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,650
  • 70983612934__78F5B89D-0EFE-4210-A163-F66B5DBC0EB4.jpeg
    70983612934__78F5B89D-0EFE-4210-A163-F66B5DBC0EB4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,504
  • IMG_3935.png
    IMG_3935.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,638

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Anya, welcome to the forum.

I am sorry, but from those photo's, all I see is a T. Is what you see as "additional segments." Small spurs under their front legs? If so they are tibial hooks. And if they are tibial hooks then Brie has just become a mature male.

babybrie

Hello Anya, welcome to the forum.

I am sorry, but from those photo's, all I see is a T. Is what you see as "additional segments." Small spurs under their front legs? If so they are tibial hooks. And if they are tibial hooks then Brie has just become a mature male.
Yes, that's what those are! Thank you very much