• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm turning into spider person please help me

The Bach

3 Year Member
Well I had a red knee tarantula when i was 20. I had it for five years then gave it to the pet shop owner. Now I'm 51 almost. Five years ago I got a rose hair. Her name is Fang. I hope its a girl, its about five inches and hasn't shed for about three years. She eats but not a lot, is gorgeous, and very tame. She (I hope) is in a five gallon tank. Does it sound like this is a female? I don't want it to be a male and die soon. A week ago I got a normal pink toe. Her name is Dorothy, she is in a one gallon tall container, she shed four days after I got her. Now she is jet black with bright pink feet. Now I want another Tarantula, a mexican fireleg or a red knee or a versicolor I don't care. So do you think my rose is a girl? How do I take Dorothy's molt out without wrecking her nice web she made? Oh god I want another tarantula if you have one you don't want let me know Ill pay shipping and take it. I take very good care of my pets. I also have a very evil smart chinchilla named Gizmo. a cat named Stormy, a rabbit named Nibbler, and a ten gallon aquarium.

Last edited:

The Bach

3 Year Member
Also, I don't hold Fang, I'm afraid I'll drop her and she never climbs on the side of her tank so I cant see if she has "lips", but at five inches, hasn't shed in years, isn't this a female probably?

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
If you can coax her into a clear deli-cup you can close it up and snap a few pictures, then just let her (hopefully) crawl back out into her enclosure when you're done. That'll help people give you a more accurate answer.

The Bach

3 Year Member
I'll try to post some pics of these creatures tomorrow, gizmo is in room with me now driving me crazy at 2 am

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard Bach. Diverse collection of pets there. I like that your second T was an arboreal. Gives you a chance to see how different T behavior can actually be. Sometimes you do have to wreck the web to get those molts out. Just do is slowly and gently and the T will end up re-webbing the enclosure the way they want after the carnage.

The Bach

3 Year Member
I'm getting a few pics together. I'm going to order one or two more Tarantula's when my tax money gets here. I want to get one more arboreal and something like a flame knee. Dorothy the pink toe is jet black now with bright pink feet. She shed two days ago can I feed her in four more days?

Morgan94

3 Year Member
I'm getting a few pics together. I'm going to order one or two more Tarantula's when my tax money gets here. I want to get one more arboreal and something like a flame knee. Dorothy the pink toe is jet black now with bright pink feet. She shed two days ago can I feed her in four more days?
How big is she?
Depending on her size she should be hardened up by then.

The Bach

3 Year Member
Here is a pic of Fang. I've checked with magnifying glass, I see no hooks on front legs I see no bulbs on first two legs. I haven't checked under her, she is starting to get very quite she will hardly move she won't eat but she looks good I think. I'm hoping it's a girl and she is getting ready to shed. She is about 5 inches she hasn't shed in three years
CameraZOOM-20150205214102712.jpg

Last edited:

The Bach

3 Year Member
My pink toe is two inches and shed about 60 hours ago, I was hoping I could feed her saturday or sunday? This is the only pic I can get of her at the moment
CameraZOOM-20150205220629421.jpg

Last edited:

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I've heard wait a week after a molt before feeding. Considering how long they can go without eating, I'd probably rather wait an extra day than underestimate how long it takes for the fangs to harden up and have the prey damage something.

The Bach

3 Year Member
ya better to wait. Can anyone tell if my rose is a girl from the pic and no bulbs or hooks I can see with magnifier?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Here is a pic of Fang. I've checked with magnifying glass, I see no hooks on front legs I see no bulbs on first two legs. I haven't checked under her, she is starting to get very quite she will hardly move she won't eat but she looks good I think. I'm hoping it's a girl and she is getting ready to shed. She is about 5 inches she hasn't shed in three yearsView attachment 8730
Can't sex these with a top pic. If you can post a clear and close-up of its bottom side we may be able to help.

As far as feeding after a molt, 6-7 days, then offer them prey. They're hungry!! [emoji4]

The Bach

3 Year Member
If I can get fang in a clear glass jar tomorrow I'll take pic of underside. Still though I got fang close to adult almost five years ago, she shed a couple of times first two and a half years now nothing for about two and a half years. I read it takes rosies four years to mature, sounds like I got her at about 2 to 3 years of age. I've had her for almost five years. That would put her at 7 to 8 years old. Must be a female, I hope

Therasoid

3 Year Member
She also doesn't wander in any way just sits mostly, never climbs doesn't walk around much
If 7-8 years is close to its age you may have a female. These are a slow growing species, at around 3", I sex mine via their molt. Check on them around 2AM, mine are roaming around, they are nocturnal. [emoji6]

Morgan94

3 Year Member
If I can get fang in a clear glass jar tomorrow I'll take pic of underside. Still though I got fang close to adult almost five years ago, she shed a couple of times first two and a half years now nothing for about two and a half years. I read it takes rosies four years to mature, sounds like I got her at about 2 to 3 years of age. I've had her for almost five years. That would put her at 7 to 8 years old. Must be a female, I hope
my boyfriends pretty good at sexing if I do say so myself and even though its not a vent shot his guess is female put if u can get a vent shot ill have him check it out and see what he thinks I hope it does end up being a female for ya

The Bach

3 Year Member
Well guys Dorothy the pink toe ate yesterday and I just checked Fang the paper weight and she is eating a cricket right now, so both spiders are fine. Gonna order three more spiders. A curly hair for sure, one more arboreal, and maybe a red knee or something else

Latest posts