• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Im not sure if the white stuff in the top right corner is mold, what do you think. And if its mold what can i do.

The Boo

1000014539.jpg

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
What mixture you using ? When I used Coco Fibre , Irish Peat Moss and soil I got mould in some of the enclosures. After a while the mould disappeared but it was in there for a while . In my opinion it does not do the Ts any harm, it just does not look pleasing to the eye . You could always add isopods to speed up the process or you could let it dry out under there . That is my opinion but if worried about it you could replace the hide .

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you can, buy yourself some springtails & some dried yeast from your local supermarket. Plus, if you have a few T's, then also buy a separate container. Place a few springtails in your T's enclosure & the rest in your separate container.

Sprinkle a small amount of yeast in both the enclosure & the container & mist it. Repeat the sprinkle & mist on each feeding day. The mould will vanish fairly quickly & your springtails will thrive. If you ever want any springtails for another enclosure, even if it's a dry enclosure & one where the springtails will not survive long. You now have a spare supply & I find a teaspoon full of springtail culture is all it takes to deal with any mould that arises.

As Lawrence b said. A little mould does no harm, other than visually. And if the mould offends your eye, then simply remove that area of substrate with a teaspoon & either bin it, or let it dry out & use it again.

Ebay normally has people selling spingtails for a few Euro.

Springtails, I have noticed in my collection, will migrate to enclosures which I did not introduce them into which I find very interesting ! My T Albos enclosure stays dry except the corner of her water dishes! I looked in one day and lo and behold! Springtails in dish!! Then I noticed them in other enclosures I hadn't put them in! These are great critters for any damp/moist environments and will evidently migrate to others which I like! Isopods do great as well! I had isopods in my MM P. Cambridgei enclosure ( the orange ones) and some wild caught from my yard! They were reproducing but I believe Bain, who is deceased now, I think didn't like them and slowly they all got gone! Couldn't have ate them cause he was a full on 7" dls male and they are just too small. But I do believe he went to war on them. Anyhow, try the springtails. Once you get a culture started they are easy to maintain. I have 2 and will take some from one and put in the other to help with inbreeding! Can't go wrong!!! Happy Spoodering!!

Latest posts