• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm A Newbie But Got My First Tarantula!

KWISE89

Hey everyone, I just got my first Tarantula. I've got a female Avicularia Avicularia. I've done some research but any tips and/or do's or dont's would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
She's a baby, about 1 3/4". I'm curious as to how old she is. Can you tell that by the size or does it vary?
It varies a lot.

I have other different Avicularia and a C. versicolor. Care is the same for all of this type. Here is what I've read and what I'm doing with mine: For smaller ones, I like a damp substrate, but not wet. Have a bottle cap water bowl at the bottom and over flow it a little as need to keep the substrate slightly damp when re-filling. What is most important is ventilation. They need good cross ventilation. Make ventilation holes on opposite sides of the enclosure so air can flow through. Here is how I did it:
IMG_5925.JPG

I also have an Avicularia purpurea, not pictured here with these three arboreals. I made mention of it, but then showed a pic of two Psalmopoeus. Didn't want this to be confusing...

KWISE89

Thanks Inky, I'm guessing it won't be long before I can't resist getting a second one. As soon as I handled her at the pet store (pro supervised) I was hooked.

KWISE89

Tom, where would I find enclosures like the ones in your pic? I bought a 12x12x12 Exo Terra for my Avic but would like something smaller for my next T. I'm planning on it being smaller when I get it.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Tom, where would I find enclosures like the ones in your pic? I bought a 12x12x12 Exo Terra for my Avic but would like something smaller for my next T. I'm planning on it being smaller when I get it.
Those are called AMAC boxes. I think they sell them at "The Container Store" if there is one near you.
https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/amac-boxes.22224/
The ones in the pic are 2x2x5". I also have 4x4x7" ones.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's a baby, about 1 3/4". I'm curious as to how old she is. Can you tell that by the size or does it vary?

That can be tricky to determine. Temperature, feeding frequency, number of feeders used and quality used can all play a role.

Gender of the tarantula also matters because males and females have different growth rates with the males growing faster and living a shorter time.

What really matters is giving the tarantula a great environment in the present. Roaches are generally considered the best feeders.

Latest posts