• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to tell if my tarantula is mature?

thebigbang

I’m not breeding but I thought this would be the best place to ask. I’m 100% sure my one Aphonopelma chalcodes is a male. Mature male at that. He has tibial hooks and embolis. I have two others who haven’t molted in my care yet but they are both around 3 1/2 - 4 inches in DLS. So I can’t molt sex but I did vent sex and one looks like male and the other looks female. The possible male has an “arch” on the epiandrous fusillae. Which I read that it’s only present in males. My question is how do I tell if they are mature? I know they are adults but are they sexually mature? Both the mature male and the possibly male non stop roaming in their enclosures and the possible female just sits on top of her hide or will roam. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 2A479DDA-1CC3-4331-ACA1-991F24C24E83.jpeg
    2A479DDA-1CC3-4331-ACA1-991F24C24E83.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 3

mschemmy

Not an expert when it comes to this topic, but since I just started breeding myself I have been trying to learn as much as I can about sexual maturity of female tarantulas (I know that sounds really creepy ). One common thing I have heard about maturity is based on the size of the female. When she reaches 75% of her full size she should be ready to pair. I am not sure how scientifically correct this is. The other way is to check the molt to see if the spermatheca has become sclereotized, or turned black. Of course you will need a molt to confirm this. Maybe someone with more knowledge can expand upon this but that is what I have learned from my research.

Latest posts