• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to heat my terrarium?

Malcspring

Hi folks,
Now that the colder weather has arrived I am struggling to get the temperature of my Mexican Red Knees environment up to a decent level.
I have a heat mat attached to the back of the tank and have attached heat reflective material to the sides, rear and top.
I know that people say that if you are comfortable then the t will be, but they come from a warm environment where they are used to a higher temp.
The average in my tarantulas environment is around 18-20 right now
My friend used to have a Mexican Red Knee and he kept it at 28 degrees and above and it thrived.
I've had mine for maybe 7-8 month. She has molted twice and appears healthy, but with the cooler temperatures in her terrarium she seems a little lethargic and is not interested in food either.
On the plus side since she molted she has obviously got quite big now, so that is a bonus.
She is kept in a polycabonate terrarium 20x10x10 inches and there is plenty of substrate in there and I always make sure there is enough water.
Should I insulate the tank more or increase the heating by another external source?

Thanks for any advice

Malc

Attachments

• PXL_20231101_110254295.jpg
    PXL_20231101_110254295.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11

GarField000

3 Year Member
18-20 is good enough for wintertime, allthough 18 is a bit on the low side.
They will be slower and eat less but they will thrive again in the summer.