• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to…

cubbi1568

So I went to Petco and purchased a B. Emillia that I wanted. Store decided to add a fish toy and had to give my to toy because the tarantula didn’t want to come out. Should I just let it get comfortable in its new home to lessen the stress or try getting it out? The fish toy has three exits and entrances

Attachments

• D392CE68-D9DB-4CCA-9794-454C92C8DA53.jpeg
    D392CE68-D9DB-4CCA-9794-454C92C8DA53.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congratulations. B. emilia is a great first tarantula.
A couple of things to make your new friend happy and heathy: more substrate. Brachys are terrestrial and large bodied. A fall ico climbing will kill it. The dish with the porcelain cat should go. A water dish will be better. The fish toy is fantastic. Plenty of hide holes. Chances are the set up at Petco was much worse. Your T will be lucky to have you. Good luck!

Tarantulafeets

The piece of aquarium decor looks pretty rough, the spider might get drag injuries if it has a fat abdomen, but otherwise @WolfSpider got it right on, needs more substrate to reduce the fall. B emilia look amazing, still need a brachy in my collection ;_;

cubbi1568

A couple of things to make your new friend happy and heathy: more substrate. Brachys are terrestrial and large bodied. A fall ico climbing will kill it. The dish with the porcelain cat should go. A water dish will be better. The fish toy is fantastic. Plenty of hide holes. Chances are the set up at Petco was much worse. Your T will be lucky to have you. Good luck!
I will buy a larger enclosure for it, since its still pretty small. It has half of the container full of substrate, can’t see it with top view. Hope in a couple days to feed it some crickets and see if it will eat for me

cubbi1568

I’m actually waiting to see if it comes out of this fish thingy so I can add in a cork bark I purchased for it. They did tell me it has molted once while they had it but I don’t like that thing fearing it can get hurt trying to climb it.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It has half of the container full of substrate, can’t see it with top view.

Welcome to the forum.

It is not how much of the container has substrate in it, but how much does not. Your Tarantula is a terrestrial, but it can still climb & possibly will. However, it is not a great climber, so will possibly fall.

Think of a T as a balloon full of water. If your precious little balloon falls much more than it's own leg span it could rupture it's self. At the very most you want no more than twice it's legs span between the substrate & the top of the enclosure & preferably slightly less than that, with one to one & a half times it's leg span being the most desirable.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep small slings in condiment cups or vials. Zero risk of falling and I'm going to need to rehouse them a few times anyway...

1638450543433732681684530103391.jpg

Latest posts