• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi everyone

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Hi everyone. Ive looked around the forum afew times and decided that i might aswell sign up. Im not really a noob to keeping Ts, ive had a couple when i was younger, just got back into it over the last year. I currently only have 2, a juvenile b.smithi who is approx 2-3 inch and molted once since ive had it and a juvenile t.stirmi who is approx 3.5-4 inch and im waiting for its first molt since ive had it, hopefully it will be soon. Always looking to expand my knowledge of tarantulas and im planning on expanding my collection soon, i think a p.metalica is next on the list. Ive attached afew pics of my Ts and there enclosures just incase anyone was interested haha.
uploadfromtaptalk1451478011372.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1451478038662.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1451478070077.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1451478117547.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1451478147206.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1451478206998.jpg

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome. It's a great forum, friendly and loads of great advice.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Hi everyone. Ive looked around the forum afew times and decided that i might aswell sign up. Im not really a noob to keeping Ts, ive had a couple when i was younger, just got back into it over the last year. I currently only have 2, a juvenile b.smithi who is approx 2-3 inch and molted once since ive had it and a juvenile t.stirmi who is approx 3.5-4 inch and im waiting for its firat molt since ive had it, hopefully it will be soon. Always looking to expand my knowledge of tarantulas and im planning on expanding my collection soon, i think a p.metalica is next on the list. Ive attached afew pics of my Ts and there enclosures just incase anyone was interested haha.View attachment 13226View attachment 13227View attachment 13228View attachment 13229View attachment 13230View attachment 13231

Welcome Johnny! Beautiful set ups

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very nice.
A couple tips for you:
The blacklights are bad. Tarantula vision is extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light. Your stirmi enclosure could use a lot more substrate, a good 6" firmly packed.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I rarely use the light on the white setting, only really for tank maintenence so i can see better. I read about alot regarding the blue settings and as far as i understood, the red and blue spectrum of a tarantulas vision ment that they were not affected by the light. I use the blue setting at night. Yes i agree about the substrate. I have only had the new stirmi tank afew weeks, i ordered 50 litres of substrate when i bought it thinking that would be enough, i under estimated the true size on the tank and have since ordered some more substrate, however i was suspecting that maybe my stirmi was going into premolt and didnt want to start adjusting things in the tank until after a molt. Does anyone think the stirmi is in pre molt going off the pic ive posted? It hasnt really eaten much in the past week or so either aswll as the abdomen looking abit shiny.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like premolt. That light looke to be ultraviolet. Yes they are blind to the red spectrum.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its not uv light, they are smd led lights.
Ah, LED. My son conducted a long term experiment on the effects of light on tarantulas. LED Light colors used were red, yellow, blue, green, orange, and natural. 72 specimen, all from same sac, 12 under each color. The tarantulas under red and natural fared the best. There were high mortality rates under the other colors. When I get home I will post more details.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
That would be good if you can give more details, i chose the blue because alot of what i had read said that a low level blue led light will replicate the moonlight without giving off heat. Also some of the rob c vids ive seen on youtube, he says he uses blue lights. If thats not the case though i will switch to red.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome. I like your setup, and i love the pic with your daughter and the B. smithi :) Priceless!

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Thanks. She loves spiders, the b smithi is hers, she asked me for her birthday (4th birthday that is) last year if she could have a pet tarantula, so i got her one. I always had spiders, snakes, lizards, turtles etc growing up so ive tried to bring her up the same so that she isnt scared of things like that. She adores her b smithi. She even wants to hold my t stirmi but ive told her thats not going to happen haha. Shes starting to understand that tarantulas arnt dangerous, some of them just get frightened more easy than others.