• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi everyone I just ordered my first T While I know the basics I was wondering if there is anything I should note

Sorafromkh2

It is a Orphnaecus sp Quezon blue tarantula, or "blue earth tiger tarantula"

I know this is an aggressive one and isn't recommended for a first, but I decided I would go ahead and study this one and it's care the best I could.

So yes I know the basics but I still wanna ask some questions so I can give the T it's best life.

So my first question is, since this one is semi-aboreal but mostly a burrowing T, how important is cross ventilation? Right now I have a Frisco "8 long cage with a mesh top, it never explained or showed in the photos, that it was mesh, but being that it is burrowing Is a top- ventilated mesh enclosure bad or will it be ok? Should I order a new cage cause personally I feel as though I should but I don't have a lot of money right now since I bought so many feeders and cricket food/water also soil and a hygrometer so idk.

I also wanna know when I should, and how frequently I should, mist. Being top ventilation The water will evaporate very soon and don't know how moist this spider needs it. So don't know If I need new cage. Are hygrometers necessary? I have a humidity gauge it only tells me the humidity and not the temperature and will say it's 50f all the way to 70f but I've heard hygrometers are inaccurate, when I touch the cage it's cold (and usually it's cold in my room in general) so I'm thinking of putting a small heater in the other side of my room where the cage isn't near.

Last think is that I placed the hide where it can kinda climb, close to the mesh but that's not a good idea so I'm how to make it away from the mesh without taking away so much space ? (5" long 3"wide log hide in a "8 wide enclosure)
16666567827287281040697343031723.jpg

AphonoMel

3 Year Member
Hi there,
Right of the bat I could tell you that you didn't really do your research regarding your choice for your first tarantula.
"I know this is an aggressive" This T is not an aggressive one but rather a skittish and defensive T.
"since this one is semi-aboreal"Also, this tarantula is not a semi arboreal tarantula,it a fossorial tarantula.
And lastly, "8 long cage with a mesh top"having a mesh top is always frowned upon.
My suggestion is to really do MORE research about the T that you are about to get,for your safety and the tarantulas.
Just my 2 cents.

Sorafromkh2

Hi there,
Right of the bat I could tell you that you didn't really do your research regarding your choice for your first tarantula.
"I know this is an aggressive" This T is not an aggressive one but rather a skittish and defensive T.
"since this one is semi-aboreal"Also, this tarantula is not a semi arboreal tarantula,it a fossorial tarantula.
And lastly, "8 long cage with a mesh top"having a mesh top is always frowned upon.
My suggestion is to really do MORE research about the T that you are about to get,for your safety and the tarantulas.
Just my 2 cents.
Hi, All the places I've studied have given me this information, and while all of these websites could be wrong, Some people I know describe this T as a semi arboreal since they web up areas if provided less substrate/given enough anchors and we all know some fossorial Ts described as semi aboreal because they still share some of the same habits as aboreal T's do, also I didn't know it had a mesh top when I bought it cause it never showed or said that in photos/ the description thank you for your input, and if you have any tips please let me know. :)

AphonoMel

3 Year Member
Where are you getting your information from?because I've looked around and the info I'm getting is that they're fossorial.
By the look of how you've set up the enclosure, you don't have to worry about leaving anchor points.The T will certainly dig a burrow and will be a pet hole.As far as the mesh lid,you can just replace it with an acrylic sheet then drill holes for ventilation.

Sugar Wolf

I have a few fossorial T's... I'm not sure if cross ventilation is needed none of mine have it maybe someone else can answer that... How big is the T that you bought? Your substrate could maybe be a little bit more moist I feel cause it would help them burrow easier and help them web the tunnels easier I don't mist my fossorial T's enclosures I fill there water dish and overflow it a lil bit to keep it moist and a good amount of humidity I would replace the mesh with acrylic top... You can keep the hide in if you want but I don't believe its necessary for them cuz they will majority of the time be underground.

Sugar Wolf

Some hygrometers are inaccurate I feel... I use repti zoo digital thermometer and hygrometer its a 2 in 1 and I believe its pretty accurate and the hygrometer is measured in % not Fahrenheit if it is getting cold I would put a heater in there... I know I have a heater being where im from its very cold winters

Sorafromkh2

Where are you getting your information from?because I've looked around and the info I'm getting is that they're fossorial.
By the look of how you've set up the enclosure, you don't have to worry about leaving anchor points.The T will certainly dig a burrow and will be a pet hole.As far as the mesh lid,you can just replace it with an acrylic sheet then drill holes for ventilation.
Thank you for the advice :)

SullivanC

Hi :) when you get a tarantula these are important things to remember
1) Is it a fossorial, terrestrial or arboreal species?
2) Does it love humidity or loves dry?
3) What is the average temperament of the species I am going for? are they docile, mildly defensive, very defensive, skittish or defensive and skittish? this is important because if you have a idea of how their temperament usually are you can be better prepared but you should treat every tarantula as if they are defensive when you unbox or rehouse them because you never know as tarantulas can always change their temperament and they usually always do
4) The size of the tarantula, based on the size of the spider the enclosure you need will depend and to make things better its good to prepare the enclosure before you even have the tarantula because if you put tarantula in temporary enclosure while you go to get enclosure that is suitable for the tarantula better rehousing it twice will stress it alot so its always good to be prepared :)
These are some good things to remember :) if you have any questions you can always ask me and others we are willing to help you out with your questions and welcome to the hobby if this tarantula is your first one :) also welcome to the forum as well :)

Sorafromkh2

3) What is the average temperament of the species I am going for? are they docile, mildly defensive, very defensive, skittish or defensive and skittish? this is important because if you have a idea of how their temperament usually are you can be better prepared but you should treat every tarantula as if they are defensive when you unbox or rehouse them because you never know as tarantulas can always change their temperament and they usually always do
4) The size of the tarantula, based on the size of the spider the enclosure you need will depend and to make things better its good to prepare the enclosure before you even have the tarantula because if you put tarantula in tempo
4) The size of the tarantula, based on the size of the spider the enclosure you need will depend and to make things better its good to prepare the enclosure before you even have the tarantula because if you put tarantula in temporary enclosure while you go to get enclosure that is suitable for the tarantula better rehousing it twice will stress it alot so its always good to be prepared :)
These are some good things to remember :) if you have any questions you can always ask me and others we are willing to help you out with your questions and welcome to the hobby if this tarantula is your first one :) also welcome to the forum as well :)

Thanks a lot :)
Those are some very good points, and this actually is my first tarantula ever! I really like this forum so far and will ask questions on it for now on, the people here seem way nicer and beginner friendly than arachnoboards lol xD

SullivanC

Thanks a lot :)
Those are some very good points, and this actually is my first tarantula ever! I really like this forum so far and will ask questions on it for now on, the people here seem way nicer and beginner friendly than arachnoboards lol xD
I am glad you like it here my friend I love this forum too I have been here for awhile now and not once I ever seen anyone that had bad attitude, people here are cool and helpful :) you are brave to go with the species that you did because they are not for beginners and most people when they choose their first spider they usually go with brachypelma, grammostola or avicularia which are the arboreal beginner species, I never personally had the species you went for so I cant speak much on their care but since it is a fossorial species I would keep the substrate moist especially the bottom so the spider is able to make tunnels, if its dry they wont be able to burrow so keeping it moist is essential for them to make burrow nicely :) not sure if anyone mentioned this but if every time you try feeding this one since it might be skittish or defensive or both skittish and defensive it would be good idea to do feeding somewhere like bathroom where it has alot of open area but make sure to block all the holes like ventilations and under the doors or any other holes there might be so if worse case scenario happens and spider just runs out of his or her enclosure its easier to find it and at all times have brush and catch cup ready. Also if the substrate is moist do not keep watering it because it can cause mold so these are important things as well to remember :)

Sorafromkh2

I am glad you like it here my friend I love this forum too I have been here for awhile now and not once I ever seen anyone that had bad attitude, people here are cool and helpful :) you are brave to go with the species that you did because they are not for beginners and most people when they choose their first spider they usually go with brachypelma, grammostola or avicularia which are the arboreal beginner species, I never personally had the species you went for so I cant speak much on their care but since it is a fossorial species I would keep the substrate moist especially the bottom so the spider is able to make tunnels, if its dry they wont be able to burrow so keeping it moist is essential for them to make burrow nicely :) not sure if anyone mentioned this but if every time you try feeding this one since it might be skittish or defensive or both skittish and defensive it would be good idea to do feeding somewhere like bathroom where it has alot of open area but make sure to block all the holes like ventilations and under the doors or any other holes there might be so if worse case scenario happens and spider just runs out of his or her enclosure its easier to find it and at all times have brush and catch cup ready. Also if the substrate is moist do not keep watering it because it can cause mold so these are important things as well to remember :)

Sorafromkh2

Thank you for the advice and welcoming! You seem really nice, I followed you. :)

And I've actually had a lot of fun with her although she tried to run away once when I unpackaged her she is very cute and always makes me and my family laugh, she webs up her log all day cause she is all about alone time, and actually scared the living daylights out of me yesterday because she all of the sudden walked when it looked like she was in a death curl, I was lucky to get this picture of her last night, hope you like her. :)
IMG_20221030_000948604.jpg

SullivanC

Thank you for the advice and welcoming! You seem really nice, I followed you. :)

And I've actually had a lot of fun with her although she tried to run away once when I unpackaged her she is very cute and always makes me and my family laugh, she webs up her log all day cause she is all about alone time, and actually scared the living daylights out of me yesterday because she all of the sudden walked when it looked like she was in a death curl, I was lucky to get this picture of her last night, hope you like her. :)
View attachment 68838
Thank you so much my friend :) she is very beautiful and yes spiders can try to run away thats why when you are rehousing or unboxing its always good to do that in a room where it has alot of open areas and its good to block all the holes spider can go in that way its easy to catch it with catch cup :)

Blackdog

I only have nine tarantulas but I made a rehousing table. It has 4" high sides that have a lip so the T should tuck up into the corner and not scamper off. Got the idea from Dave's little beasties on YouTube

Sorafromkh2

The 'death curl' was probably it grooming. They groom their legs then get lazy and sit there all curled up. They like to worry us
They really do, she has been a mess, and I worry about her all the time, she already filled her water bowl with substrate, and covered her whole entire log with webbing and more substrate probably so I won't check up on her anymore. I never second guess why she acts the way she does, spiders just do things