• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!!!

Harryth

3 Year Member
My curly hair sling refuses to eat, IDK why it been 4 days since it molted. At first when I try to put the mealworm into the container it show some interest then it started to run away from the mealworm and started climbing up to the lid.When I open up the container, it come out then it poop on the table. I pick up my sling then put it back into the container and remove the mealworm.Is this because it is picky on food or because it wasn't ready to eat yet?

syzygy

3 Year Member
First, you should let a T have a week after a molt before trying to feed. They need to get comfortable in their new skin and they need their fangs to fully harden up again.

Second, T's will sometimes just not eat for a while. I have a pair of curly hair slings that i was recently given...maybe 1/4" in size. One has eaten every 4-5 days for the last few weeks and the other had been refusing both pin-heads and lat nymphs. Both molted right before I got them so I knew it wasn't a pre-molt thing. The one that was refusing was looking thin so I added some moisture to the substate and put a pre-killed pin-head "plus" cricket near it. Checked a couple hours later and it was enjoying the found bounty and looks much healthier.

I would guess that in a few more days yours will be fine. Overall I've found curlys to be good eaters.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Curlies are usually great eaters. But they do take some time to setting into their new homes and a week or more after a molt, depending on their size, from my experience. I recently got some giant mealworms and both of my curlies snag them off the tongs before i could drop them in the enclosure ;)

Telson

3 Year Member
Sounds like spider no eaty syndrome. Im very sorry.:rolleyes: I kid. As the others said, let it get hardened up, and it will start eating again.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
also...if it showed interest and then back away...that might be an indication that the prey u provided was a little large and the spider didn't think it could take it down...a good rule of thumb is to keep the food the size of the spider's abdomen.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
After a molt, I usually offer my slings pre killed prey. That way it's there when it's ready to eat and there's no worry of an injury to the T....although I've never had any of my ts getting hurt by the prey.
Keep trying to feed it daily. I've had ts refuse food, then an hour later, attack it like it's it's first meal in a year

Harryth

3 Year Member
Hey guys. It already started to eat last Friday,now it is hiding in its burrow and not coming out since last saturday.

Harryth

3 Year Member
IMG_20161108_170327.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yup that has been my experience with most of mine. the bigger they get the braver they get and the more u see them. :) especially with brachys u gotta just be patient they will test it for sure! :)

Latest posts