• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help (when to feed?)

D22009

What are you trying to feed them? How big are the feeders and how big are the spiders?
Some janky mealworms they send and there not big at all

20200414_190025.jpg
20200414_190507.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tiny T's have tiny appetites. I put a de-headed mealworm in my slings enclosure every third day, removing the mealworm after 24 hours & I have no idea when they eat. Sometimes the mealworm is moved, pulled into a burrow etc, but a mealworm would provide several large meals for a tiny sling, so knowing if they have eaten or not, is something I have no idea about. Thus I just make sure they have a regular supply of fresh food.

Mealworms are cheap & supplied in large quantities, so even feeding more often than needed, there is no extra cost involved. The way I look at it is, feeding the way I do, my slings have options & I check on them every other day at the very worst.

D22009

Tiny T's have tiny appetites. I put a de-headed mealworm in my slings enclosure every third day, removing the mealworm after 24 hours & I have no idea when they eat. Sometimes the mealworm is moved, pulled into a burrow etc, but a mealworm would provide several large meals for a tiny sling, so knowing if they have eaten or not, is something I have no idea about. Thus I just make sure they have a regular supply of fresh food.

Mealworms are cheap & supplied in large quantities, so even feeding more often than needed, there is no extra cost involved. The way I look at it is, feeding the way I do, my slings have options & I check on them every other day at the very worst.
Thanks for the information,I'm totally new to all this so it's nice to get feedback from others, what about 3/16" crickets, at best 2 of my slings are around .25"

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have the luxury of having a colony of roaches that always produce tiny baby roaches.

I give my 1/4" slings a semi-crushed pinhead that "moves" but doesn't move about. This stimulates their natural hunt/feed response, but if they are timid the prey will eventually expire and they can feast on the dead.

Feeding prekilled/frozen is just a matter of put food item in, see them eat or hope they eat, then <24 hrs later pull food item out so it doesn't rot and cause other issues.

D22009

I have the luxury of having a colony of roaches that always produce tiny baby roaches.

I give my 1/4" slings a semi-crushed pinhead that "moves" but doesn't move about. This stimulates their natural hunt/feed response, but if they are timid the prey will eventually expire and they can feast on the dead.

Feeding prekilled/frozen is just a matter of put food item in, see them eat or hope they eat, then <24 hrs later pull food item out so it doesn't rot and cause other issues.
I'm going to try again today once I get out work....

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi you could try a bean weevil culture my avicularia slings love them and they last quite a long time
I never thought of trying that... good tip. Will try that next time when I have new small ones. I always used fruit flies...

Latest posts