• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help plz

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
size is measured from leg tip to opposite leg tip in a relaxed position, not the body. My LP is maybe a 1/2" now, in moist substrate, has a 1 litre bottle cap for a water dish, and i used the end of the paint brush to start a burrow in the corner of the enclosure for him. Now he's burrowed all the way to the bottom and is the monster in the dark when the roaches venture down there ;) I don't mist his enclosure, just over flow the water dish every few days.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup, this species should definitely be kept more on the dry side, so no misting. Misting even for species that need extra moisture/humdity is completely useless to be honest, as like Scoolman said, it only raises the humidity for a very brief period of time, and even then only on the top layer of the substrate. Misting should be used as a means of providing an extra drinking source (works better for arboreals or heavy webbers), not as a humidity source. Even with a tropical species, you only need to provide it with a slightly larger water dish in order to keep the humidity up enough. Adding a layer of sphagnum moss or similar moss can also help with this. With this being said, the cage should still be allowed to dry out in-between, and the substrate should never be saturated/wet, just moist. Last but certainly not least, ventilation should always be adequate, and you should never sacrifice ventilation for extra humidity with any species. This stuff mainly applies to certain other species however, as stated the species you have does better when kept a bit drier, so all you need as far as moisture matters is a water dish. cocoa fiber or peat are two of the best substrates for any tarantula IMO. You can also create your own substrate like I sometimes do, by mixing a few different ones. Just make sure they are all safe to use should you choose to do this.

Latest posts