• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help my Grammostola rosea has a weird patch on its abdomen

Logan D

3 Year Member
was wonder if someone could tell me what the weird patch is on my Grammostola rosea's abdomen?
rosie 1.jpg

SLAYANK

3 Year Member
Hey it's just a molting scar which is called a scab it may of been in a confined space when last melted. Next molt it will be gone.

hellknite

3 Year Member
I also have a bald spot on my pulchripes' abdomen.. Is it the same? Never noticed it before.. just yesterday..
uploadfromtaptalk1415710009105.jpg

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Its not a scab, its a mirror patch. Its a patch of urticating bristles that's reflects light differently than the bristles around it. A few different genera have them.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Weird patch? That's where it's urticating hairs are. That's a result of it kicking them off.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is it a sign of stress?

Not to sound rude in any way, but did you do any form of research before acquiring this animal? Urticating hairs are mentioned in literally every book ever written on tarantulas. The reason I'm asking this is because this is extremely basic stuff. Even someone completely new to the hobby should know things like this.This is something that they do as a defense mechanism. Many species will lay down hairs on their webbing or on the ground near their hide to deter predators. If you're handling it I'd suggest not doing that, as this will give it more of a reason to do this. Again not trying to talk down to you or anything, but I'm pretty shocked that you are so surprised by this feature/ability that they have.

Latest posts