• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help, has my tarantula died?

ecg

Hi all,

We’ve had our Chilean Rose, Doris, for 25 years. She’s never had any trouble molting before, we’ve always looked for the signs (rolling onto side/back, legs curling), however this time I’m concerned she has died during her molt. Can anyone please help me if I send a picture or a video of her so I can determine? I’m scared to touch her in case it disturbs her and I’m not an expert on tarantulas despite having her for so long.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning,
The first step would be indeed to post a few pictures of her as she is right now.
Thank you very much.
And welcome to the forum/family :)

ecg

Good morning,
The first step would be indeed to post a few pictures of her as she is right now.
Thank you very much.
Hello, thank you:
Good morning,
Thank you very much.
Hello, thank you for your kindness.
I have included a picture that shows a white/brown liquid down the side of the glass, I’ve read they can be “sick” when they die and I’m so worried that’s it. You can see in another picture where the “head” molt has tried to lift off?

Attachments

• 17B37738-D5BF-4B8F-9BEE-B46FD12149FE.jpeg
    17B37738-D5BF-4B8F-9BEE-B46FD12149FE.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 80587C7E-DFE2-4734-A79E-23EC197B959F.jpeg
    80587C7E-DFE2-4734-A79E-23EC197B959F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • C6BD8011-6DBF-40AD-9FC7-8D289777F01F.jpeg
    C6BD8011-6DBF-40AD-9FC7-8D289777F01F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 6808F9DE-52A4-41EB-98AE-B13F29A818E8.jpeg
    6808F9DE-52A4-41EB-98AE-B13F29A818E8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

KatyAnn

Has she ever molted right side up like that before? Also, how long has she been like this with only her carapace shedded? I know larger Ts take longer to molt, but if it's been more than a day she should have made more progress.

ecg

Has she ever molted right side up like that before? Also, how long has she been like this with only her carapace shedded? I know larger Ts take longer to molt, but if it's been more than a day she should have made more progress.
It’s been more than a day. And I’ve never seen her molt this way before, always curls over.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
2 and a half days now. I might be in denial, all the signs are that she’s passed…
I am very sorry if that's what is happening. I lost my rosea after she turned 25 as well. :( I had her for 10 years in my care and she was already an older girl when I adopted her from a neighbor. I was never in my life more sad than when I lost my baby.

My heart goes out to you <3

(Also RIP to my baby Noodles who got me into this hobby)

ecg

I am very sorry if that's what is happening. I lost my rosea after she turned 25 as well. :( I had her for 10 years in my care and she was already an older girl when I adopted her from a neighbor. I was never in my life more sad than when I lost my baby.

(Also RIP to my baby Noodles who got me into this hob

(Also RIP to my baby Noodles who got me into this hobby)
Bless you thank you.
And I’m so sorry for your loss as well, they’re only little creatures but they do bring so much joy. I was 18 months old when we got Doris, she’s grown up with me! ❤️

KatyAnn

2 and a half days now. I might be in denial, all the signs are that she’s passed…
I'm sorry for your loss, I know it can be devastating. She lived for 25 years though and that is a hell of a long time. You guys obviously did something right. Even if the wood chips weren't the best substrate for her, I don't think that had anything to do with it...she would have perished long ago if that were the case.