• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hello all my new friends! I just joined this forum and I'm also a member of frogforum.com for my pacman frog and my soon to arrive tomato frogs. I'm also going to join a chameleon forum soon and a bearded dragon forum among others.

I just got my first tarantula recently. I am so happy as he is my favorite species of tarantula and a species I have wanted for a long time. His name is October because he's black and orange and he's a spider which brings to mind Halloween. He is a male Mexican fireleg tarantula or Brachypelma Boehmei and I've had him for probably about 3-4 weeks now. He has a 3 inch legspan and he looks quite a bit like "Fred" in the new media section on the front page. He's currently living in a large critter keeper and I think I'll move him into his main tank once he completes 2-3 more molts depending on how long that takes, hopefully no more than a few months. He seems healthy and eats pretty well, provided I've never actually seen him attack his prey yet, just find little bits of vaporized crickets and occasionally see him sitting there with a cricket in his fangs. He's not a particularly shy spider as he spends most of his time on the side in plain site but he is pretty skittish. I'm looking forward to watching him grow and learning more about tarantula keeping along the way.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
Congratulations on your new tarantula, and welcome to the forum. If there is any thing you need to know feel free to ask, someone on here will have your answer.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and the hobby.
Very nice 1st tarantula, great colors, good eaters, out in the open once acclimated and a hobby favorite.
Usage of, Browse: Tarantulas by Genus: Brachypelma, you will find many FAQ questions and their answers. [emoji6]

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I will be waiting on them.

Hello Tarantulaguy! I promised you a little while I go I would show you a picture of October, my little Mexican fireleg. My cousin finally took a picture and uploaded it for me. Here is is, he's living in a critter keeper right now because he's not quite big enough to go in his main tank yet. He really likes to hang out half way pressed on to the wall lol.

Attachments

• October.jpg
    October.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 15

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Boehmei is my 2nd favorite Brachypelma species after smithi and then followed by vagans.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!

Are you sure your T is a male?

I'm pretty sure he's a male. It specifically ordered one because he's my first tarantula and I have no previous experience and since females can live into their 20s or more I thought I would start out with the shorter lifespan male just in case he turned out to be a nightmare. I didn't want a 20 year nightmare. Luckily he's very easy care and docile enough :)

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Boehmei is my 2nd favorite Brachypelma species after smithi and then followed by vagans.

Same here except the fireleg is my first and the red knee is my second. I actually do want to get a red knee next and then I'll have both of my favorites :) I don't know if I should get another male though since female red knees can live into their 40s.