• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello group

gregprice29

Hello everyone ,
I'm VERY new to the T hobby. I have a adult 5.5 inch female confirmed by molt Brachypelma boehmei
. I have bred ball pythons and few boas for last 5 years. So I'm not new to husbandry, but this my first T. Me and son are changing our hobby to tarantulas.. I really am enjoying this group so far. Thanks for letting me join.

My first dumb question.......I just received my new enclosure. I was keeping her in a small plastic box from dollar store. I was able to catch her in a large handled cup ( pretty easy, I was little scared) my problem is it's been over an hour and she is still inside the catch cup.i put cup with her inside and left them in new enclosure. Should I pull her out some how or leave her alone.

Thanks Greg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
If she has not come out already, let her be. Every time I have rehoused a T it has taken time to adjust, usually by clinging to a wall for a long time.

Some people use plastic catch cups with holes poked in the bottom and use paint brushes to gently prod the T out. I guess you could do that from the mouth if the cup too.

I usually gently push the T’s butt as most times using the legs gets me a defensive response. Watch Dave’s Little Beasties on YouTube, he has a great way with tarantulas.

Come to think of it, I think he managed to get a reluctant T moving by gently pressing a side of the paint brush above the bristles on the Ts legs.

Recently I tried to move one of my G. pulchra in order to get a beheaded super worm that slipped down a crack. Nothing doing. I pressed her butt and she just flicked hairs. I let her be and got the worm later.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some people use plastic catch cups with holes poked in the bottom and use paint brushes to gently prod the T out. I guess you could do that from the mouth if the cup too.

Especially with fast &/or aggressive T's, I try to use a catch cup that will simply sit in the enclosure with the lid on & then leave the T/ spider to enter the enclosure in their own time.

Following the Bedford invert show, I had 3 spiders, one a Piloctenus haematostoma, but all 3 were fast & all had potent bites. And with each one, I placed them in their purchase container in the new enclosure & put the lid on & left them to leave in their own time & then slowly & carefully removed the purchase container later.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My first dumb question.......I just received my new enclosure. I was keeping her in a small plastic box from dollar store. I was able to catch her in a large handled cup ( pretty easy, I was little scared) my problem is it's been over an hour and she is still inside the catch cup.i put cup with her inside and left them in new enclosure. Should I pull her out some how or leave her alone.

Thanks Greg

First welcome to the hobby & the forum.

I have a lovely looking terracotta garlic jar in one of my enclosures as a hide. And I often use terracotta flower pots, normally cut in half as hides as terracotta is a good material to use in a damp environment & many people use mugs as hides. I have purchased several T's complete with enclosures & they have come with a mug. So do not worry about leaving your T to leave the capture cup in its own time. It is exactly what I do with fast, aggressive spiders & T's, especially those with nasty bites. And a cup could be used as a hide, if you wanted.

I brought an enclosure decorated with a soldier at the weekend. As long as something is not harmful. What we use as decorations / hides is only limited by our choices.

DEXTER107

Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome! I am also fairly new but when I rehouse, I gently coax them out with a paint brush on their butt. This way the cup is out and they get accustomed to their new home quicker. The longer they stay in the cup, they might think it’s their hide and stay a long bit.

Latest posts