• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, getting into the hobby! Have an important question.

Saya

3 Year Member
Hello Everyone greetings from the Netherlands. This is not my first but only my second spider so i am still new at spiders, the last spider i purchuased was sold to me as 100% guaranteed to be female and still turned out to be a male. Since i won't be keeping more than 1 or max 2 spiders (i have my hands full with my snakes) i really want a female this time around. I really like Grammostola's and went to a shop to get one, they had a nice 7 month old pulchripes that they sold as female. I have tried to compare pictures of 'her' underside to pictures on the web but i'm not getting anywhere, i would really appreciate any help! If it turns out to be a male i have to return this spider asap and get a female in return. (i'm praying it's a female, such a nice disposition, very nice change from my really agressive male Pulchra, that and the store is a 1,5h drive away.)

Also uploading a picture of the habitat, (yes i know the skulls are a bit 'kitsch', wasn't my choice haha). The spider seems comfortable, the little plant keeps humidity at around 60/65%, and there is a burrow but (s)he doesn't use it. Anything i should add/remove?

LiQl783jjoYiG0QmA2Gt07XtDjvjVke7gdpi6CPNGMY.png
MhnwHgrXt3d94OaPWFrjlCv8ION_ln8fM3NojUwniOw,stcLFaABkGhDS2u3bUVyDJP1CtM4crXat2uXuAMyU_k.jpg

Ghost

3 Year Member
I agree with HungryGhost from your photo it looks like a male but can't be 100% sure.

If you want to get a guaranteed female then I recommend giving Michael Scheller website a look at he usually has some sexed females avaliable and you can be sure that they've been sexed correctly,I've had T's from him a few times,you can have a look at vogelspinnen-scheller.de and see what's available.....

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome Saya, "grootjes" from your American spider-keeping cousins :D

Saya

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, i am dissapointed it seems to be a male. However i did find a solution i can live with, i'll just get another spider and make sure that one ís female and just wait and see for this one (I'll just consider it a male and if by a long shot it does turn out to be a female, lucky me). So far he seems to feel at home. He already ate and put threads all over the place.

@ octanejunkie,Groetjes back to you :)

Latest posts