• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Indonesia!

TheFlash

Hey.
I'm a Canadian living in Indonesia.... 3rd grade elementary school teacher...
Decided a few days ago that I wanted a tarantula and bought one because I like how it burrows
Didn't like how it burrows after a while cuz. I can't look at it.. So. I decided to buy a LASIODORA which chills outside....
I provided a hide but it hasn't gone in it yet

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lasiodora species typically never use a hide unless something or someone annoys them enough or spooks them into it. They are among the most highly visible tarantulas that you can get.

However, that doesn't mean a large hide isn't important. If you are maintaining the cage, changing the water dish or anything else besides feeding that might get them upset, they will simply retreat without getting defensive or aggressive.

They do explore the cage and will find and know where the hide is after a while.

Also, never handle Lasiodora. The hairs are awful and the feeding response is massive. If it moves, it's dinner time..... including you!!

Use a catch cup and a paint brush together with a lid that fits properly. It's best for those to be totally transparent so you can watch and observe everything. These are your best friends.

Wearing gloves as an additional precaution such as mechanics gloves or tactical stick proof gloves may give you reassurance as they get larger.

They aren't a mean spider and are usually very pouncy and very calm 99% if the time, great first time choice.

Latest posts