• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

heating questions

gex

3 Year Member
Hello
A few years ago when i had my reptile collection i remember hearing loads of horror stories with heat mats. Is there other ways to heat Ts that would be safer and that wont have anyone in the house moaning about 'what if theres a fire'.
Tryin to keep everyone happy lol.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a thermostat on mine so if it gets too hot it switches off. I have it set at 25 deg C so it's just back up in case the room is too cold.

gex

3 Year Member
Yeah seems the safest way for heatmats. I think i would defo need additional heat in my room. They need to be in my room cos the dog doesnt get in my room. My choices shouldnt be too venomous but just in case i want the dog kept away.
TSS have the types i like listed at around 24ish so no1 needs special tment

Ghost

3 Year Member
Hello
A few years ago when i had my reptile collection i remember hearing loads of horror stories with heat mats. Is there other ways to heat Ts that would be safer and that wont have anyone in the house moaning about 'what if theres a fire'.
Tryin to keep everyone happy lol.

Yes there's other ways forget heat mats and heat lamps there not much use for T's,Now I know a lot of people use them but the best way to heat your T's is to heat the room that their in that way you get an ambient temperature instead of hot spots,I use an oil filled radiator with thermostat to control the temp in the whole room and this way I can keep my T's at different temps in the same room without needing multiple heat mats and thermostats....

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I have a small (8'X12') room my T's are kept in. I use a digital ceramic heater to keep the temp around 78 degrees. It uses 500 watts of power and its fan helps circulate the air, minimizing hot spots. The slings are kept in a 20 gallon tall aquarium that has flex-a-watt heat strip affixed underneath with aluminum tape. Temperature is controlled by a electronic house thermostat and through a relay switch a small fan comes on for air circulation. The flex-a-watt is 12"X24" and uses a mere 16 watts of power and its surface temperature maxes at 105 degrees.
A fire can happen with any heating appliance, just follow the manufacturers instructions and safety precautions and all should be good.
There are a lot of variables to consider when choosing what's best in your situation. The region you live in, how well insulated the walls are, drafts around windows and the direction the room faces. Once these are taken in account for, its easier to get the best end result for your requirements.
One last but not least factor in the equation is air circulation. Without circulation you get hot spots and stratification of the air.
What works "best" for me or others, may or may not be "best" for you. Just my thoughts and hopefully helpful to you.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
i agree with ghost !!!
haveing an ambient temp is the best way, but i didnt want to heat the whole room so i decided to keep my Ts in vivs. both are heated to 26c with heat mats & both have thermostats to regulate temps. :)

Fleas

3 Year Member
Ya ghost explain i keep my slings closer to the radiant heat and the adult further away more or so its a cozy room

Fleas

3 Year Member
sorry if I said your name is just that I meant I agreed with everything that you said

Latest posts