• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H. Maculata sling

Tgirl816

Hi I'm new here so not sure if I'm posting in right place but need advice .
I got a H. Maculata sling end of last week and over the weekend it's made a burrow but doesn't seem to be moving all I can see its lots of little legs so wondering if it's either moulting or has moulted and on the opposite side of the burrow it looks like its lost a leg . Obviously don't want to disturb if it is in the process . From what I've read they're supposed to be lighting fast but this little one was surprisingly slow . Any advice please .

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of tarantulas.
Firstly to set your mind at rest a lost leg will not affect it in any way and will grow back in a moult or 2. If it has moulted it will take a few days to harden up and get back to full mobility. It can also take a while for them to settle into a new home.

Tgirl816

Probably me just fluffing. its shedded from what I can see minus a leg but still hiding in hole at the moment so cant quite see and don't fancy chasing it around the house to find out

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can always cheat a little bit and lower her enclosure temperature to 60 degrees (no colder) to slow down the little guy a bit if needed.

You need a cooler, digital thermometer, water and an ice maker in your fridge. A tight lid is a must.

Just don't "shock" the tarantula in the fridge!!

Latest posts