• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H Gigas stressing me out

siege

I have a sub adult h. Gigas named Nemo. He is in a 8x8x10 tank with a screen lid. Because he is such a heavy borrower I have about 6 inches of substrate in his tank. He was transferred about 2 months ago from a 6x6x8. The first tank was a mix of coco and reptisoil. The second straight coco. Both tanks have the same problem: mold.
He had a large water dish that he would fill with dirt and make fun mud with and I have removed it due to the excessive amount of moisture. This is starting to stress me out. The mound is under the substrate, not on top. I need a highly resistant soil to mold. He seemed very content with his tank but I cannot handle to mold. I’m concerned about spores and book lungs and other things, oh my. Opinions on best mold resistant substrate?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you can buy some springtails & some dried yeast. Get a small kitchen storage / sandwich tub. Put some springtails in both your gigas enclosure & the spare tub. Add a pinch of yeast to both & give a light misting. Springtails love mould & keeping them well fed, means you get a growing number of springtails, no mould & plenty of springtails to add to any other enclosures that you may later want them in.

siege

Brilliant! I didn’t know about the yeast! I have springtails but my colony has finally died out. They do keep Loki’s (t. Blondi) space clean and mold free but I may have forgotten to add them to Nemo’s tank. Thanks for the tip on the yeast!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I put a small pinch of dried yeast in most weeks. And that keeps the springtails fed & happy. Then if, or when, any mould arrives, they are ready for action.

Latest posts