• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good news and bad(?)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding my son's Ts tonight and I found (the good news) I have successfully bred lateralis and dubia roaches.

Couldn't get a pic to turn out of the dubia, it ran to another egg crate and burrowed under some of the larger ones so I let him be.

Here's one of my baby lats.
20160714_210307.jpg

Now the maybe bad news depending how you look at it I guess.
The H. sp Columbia we bought and were told it was the grand is now about 2 or 2.5" dls and molted about 6 weeks ago or so.

We just noticed during feeding tonight, the first time since molt he's been out of his web tunnels that he's now a mature male. You can see the hooks and boxing gloves. I thought these got like twice this size?
20160714_204834.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Grats on the roaches. Hmm, is this one of them where the females dwarf the males maybe?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Guess June 26 was his last molt, I was thinking it was back in April.

2.5 maybe 3" tops. Is this the large species like we thought we purchased?

timc

3 Year Member
Well congrats on the lats! And the MM may not be the worst thing in the world. Play match maker, set him up on a blind date and get some babies! My hapalopus is only like 1.25" so I can't offer direct help but this species has become so popular I'm sure you can find a gal somewhere. Beware the large/small differentiation though. Hybrids=lame.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah. Just did some more reading, females are an inch or more larger than males. So this is the male of the large sp. The small ones are an inch or so smaller as adult.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well hell...mine has stayed really small as well, and it is supposed to be the large. Need to get a good look and see if there's any hooks.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah i was suprised, i got this one back in february i think and it's already an adult. not really happy with that, thought it would take longer but it is what it is. So if he molted in April, then hooked out on June 26 molt, I'm wondering how long he'll live now. If his ultimate molt follows the molt pattern then probably another 3 months right, unless he survives that molt, then what 6-9?

timc

3 Year Member
It depends on the individual, I believe. I've read about males who've made it 18 months after maturing. I've also read about some that have only made it a few weeks.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah i was suprised, i got this one back in february i think and it's already an adult. not really happy with that, thought it would take longer but it is what it is. So if he molted in April, then hooked out on June 26 molt, I'm wondering how long he'll live now. If his ultimate molt follows the molt pattern then probably another 3 months right, unless he survives that molt, then what 6-9?
Not sure hun but sounds about right. I love the males as well as the females. But hope I have females as I've no intention of breeding. Right now I think my emilia is a male. :(