• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good big spider to start with?

Roo

3 Year Member
'allo all.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations for a larger T' to start out with? (Well start out with larger T's)

timc

3 Year Member
How big do you want it? L. Parahybana get huge but some individuals I've learned have some pretty interesting personality quirks. For example, mine is a complete and total scaredy cat and will only eat once I close his container (except today he took that cricket TO TOWN!). There's other giants out there but I hav any experience with them, so that would be my recommendation for a huge spider...I hear A. geniculata are great and get a pretty decent size but I've nev owned one.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would get the Lp, cheap slings, they get big, not exactly as pretty as some others, but very impressive. Or you could get a Pamphobeteus, slings aren't bad as far as price. Adults and juvies are expensive. I love my new juvie Pampho, she's a beauty. The other thing is Pampho males are stunning, much better looking than the females. Or you could get a Theraphosa stirmi, they're awesome. Just research their care. Tom moran on YouTube has a very straightforward video on care for stirmis as well as Pampho s. I wouldn't recommend a Blondie until you've cared for a stirmi or a Pampho...blondies are notorious for having issues molting and doing well in captivity, that's just what I've read though, I've never kept one. Hmm..I think G pulchra and G pulchripes get rather large and impressive looking, and they're beautiful. Slow growers though, unless they're male. There's a few other species that get king sized I just can't think of them..

micheldied

3 Year Member
Depends really on how prepared you think you are. Some can be harder to care for than others, or have worse urticating hairs. Also, are you looking to buy an adult, or a sling? Because it sounds like you want one that's already large.

If you're just looking at size; the Pamphobeteus go through some pretty cool colors, the Theraphosa are a personal favorite of mine. Biggest of the big, though a little tougher to care for than many other NWs. And Lasiodora parahybana are just cute, in my opinion.

Roo

3 Year Member
Depends really on how prepared you think you are. Some can be harder to care for than others, or have worse urticating hairs. Also, are you looking to buy an adult, or a sling? Because it sounds like you want one that's already large.

If you're just looking at size; the Pamphobeteus go through some pretty cool colors, the Theraphosa are a personal favorite of mine. Biggest of the big, though a little tougher to care for than many other NWs. And Lasiodora parahybana are just cute, in my opinion.

Was thinking about a Pamphobeteus sp.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got my first, a juvie female P antinous. Supposed to be the biggest one, or one of them. I got a half decent shot of her before work
IMG_20151101_120138.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard they average 9 inches, but can get to 11 if you get a monster. Not positive though. People tend to exaggerate :p I do know I've seen some very large ones on YouTube, impressively large.:eek:

micheldied

3 Year Member

Very muddled up genus, taxonomically. But it has some very nice species. I don't care too much for NW terrestrials, but the Pamphobeteus are really cool. I never had the chance, but I'd get a couple of P. antinous if I could.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very muddled up genus, taxonomically. But it has some very nice species. I don't care too much for NW terrestrials, but the Pamphobeteus are really cool. I never had the chance, but I'd get a couple of P. antinous if I could.
Truth. At first I thought it was just nigricolor, but I read some more and found it's a genus wide thing...there's no telling when they'll say I don't have an antinous, it's a sp black, or some such..I don't care though, I have the "hobby form" antinous, and I love them.:D

Latest posts