• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Genic vs LP vs GBB for first tarantula

Best first pet tarantula

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Was originally planning on getting either an A. geniculata or GBB for my first T but an in state dealer of mine (who I will not name) has a 3" LP female in stock along with a 3.5" GBB female and, while I think I'd like an A. geniculata moreso than an L. parahybana, I haven't really found very many 2-3" or so females for sale as of late. Stock could certainly change by the time I actually get a T, but I think it's worth noting. An LP might not having the striking coloration of the Genic but it also gets big, is a voracious eater & all in all makes a great display tarantula just like the Genic. A GBB interests me cause of the striking coloration, the fact they web a lot & cause they're very hardy and need very little moisture. So, which one do you guys think I should pick and why?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've gone with the l. parahybana as they are good looking, almost always on view and very easy to care for.

My girl at 8"
1672595618508.png

I've gone with the l. parahybana as they are good looking, almost always on view and very easy to care for.

My girl at 8"View attachment 69390
I still like the looks of the Genic better, but the more I see of the LP the more I think it really ain't too bad. On the other forum I mention I use (I'd rather not bring it up TOO much since I know such discussions can lead to forum wars. Besides the point.) I stated in a comment that I think the L. parahybana kinda just looks like a giant G. porteri but truth is that's really not doing it justice. It has a dark brown, almost black sort of coloration. Not black as in G. pulchra black, but definitely darker than a G. porteri. Either an A. geniculata or an LP will likely be my first T, and if I can find a female Genic then I'll probably go w/ that. If, however, that in state vendor I referred to still has any 3" or so female specimens of L. parahybana up on his site by the time I intend to get one and I still can't find any female Genics for sale I think I'm gonna go for that instead. I think I'd prefer that over an unsexed sling A. geniculata. Regardless of whether an A. geniculata or an LP ends up being my first T, a GBB will likely be my second. They are all beautiful T's in their own right! :⁠-⁠)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree the Genic is a beautiful T but then they all have their own personalities too. Some of the not so colourful are just as much fun to keep, for instance my G. rosea is quite a character, often tipping her water bowl onto its side and rolling it round.
One thing I find fascinating is the way they construct their homes.

mschemmy

I recently got all 3. They all make great display T’s because they get large and are usually out of their hides (Some GBBs not as much as the other two but their striking color makes up for that when they do hang out in the open). I recently got my GBB and it a male and just molted. Is has yet to eat for me so I haven’t had the enjoyment of watching it eat like a lot of GBB owners talk about. My Genic is a juvenile. It LOVES to eat and is always out. It is already showing it’s awesome white bands on the legs. This is my 2nd LP I have owned. I just got this one and it’s in premolt. Like my first one it is ALWAYS out and it will get big and eat like crazy. So I guess you really can’t go wrong with any of them. My favorite at this point though is the Genic. Good luck and keep us posted!

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
GBBs are so much fun to watch grow from a sling to adult! The color changes are amazing, and are unbelievely beautiful after moulting. I had one that was super-chill all his life that matured and died, and my female that I currently have is super-bolty, so again, every spider has its own personality.

GBBs are so much fun to watch grow from a sling to adult! The color changes are amazing, and are unbelievely beautiful after moulting. I had one that was super-chill all his life that matured and died, and my female that I currently have is super-bolty, so again, every spider has its own personality.
They are super pretty. There's no denying that.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
The LP will get huge, eventually. Are you going to be OK with going in to clean n care for an 8in T that can kick hairs like REALLY heavy? Or if it is territorial and defensive? Their fangs are rediculous. Gotta be able to cup/cover to manage the substrate/water dish and rehouse. Just sayin.
All great Ts to have though. Im just not a fan at all for hair kicking which the LP's are notorious for.

The LP will get huge, eventually. Are you going to be OK with going in to clean n care for an 8in T that can kick hairs like REALLY heavy? Or if it is territorial and defensive? Their fangs are rediculous. Gotta be able to cup/cover to manage the substrate/water dish and rehouse. Just sayin.
All great Ts to have though. Im just not a fan at all for hair kicking which the LP's are notorious for.
Both the LP and Genics are huge with the LP being slightly more so on average (though typically not by much). Is the hair kicking typically worse with the LP than it is the Genics?

SullivanC

To be honest they are all amazing so I dont know which one to choose :) If you want a new world that webs alot then c. cyaneopubescens is a better option but like I said they are all great so it all depends on which one looks the best to you :)

To be honest they are all amazing so I dont know which one to choose :) If you want a new world that webs alot then c. cyaneopubescens is a better option but like I said they are all great so it all depends on which one looks the best to you :)
More webbing, and they're also very colorful (as opposed to the LP which isn't very colorful at all, White Knee is still kinda colorful). Also smaller, pro and con. Not as impressive in that sense but also may not need as big of a tank. I'm still undecided between the 3, though I do know it's gonna be one of those species.

Never kept a gbb,or a A,genc. I started off with all old world spider's but back in the summer I purchased a juvenile lp. I really have to stop and remind myself to put gloves on if I have to do anything in her enclosure. Mine isn't too bad about actually kicking but the hair she drops down all around on the substrate is crazy bad and she actually molted a few days ago and I didn't get to see her do it,but I've read about how much hair they will drop on their webbing before molting. I'm slowly starting to get into the new world side just to keep and enjoy. I've never been a fan much of hair kicking myself. Especially after seeing a T.stirmi hairs under a microscope.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've never seen my LP kick hairs, my Genic only did on rare occasions.
All I can suggest is a set of long tongs for maintenance, they avoid the risk of picking up hairs.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
More webbing, and they're also very colorful (as opposed to the LP which isn't very colorful at all, White Knee is still kinda colorful). Also smaller, pro and con. Not as impressive in that sense but also may not need as big of a tank. I'm still undecided between the 3, though I do know it's gonna be one of those species.
Why not 1 of each. That would be quite fun for you.

Why not 1 of each. That would be quite fun for you.
True, but I mostly wanna focus on scorps and only get like 1 or 2 T's. I'm starting to lean more GBB now, simply due to the striking colors and cause it's a good bit smaller than the other two. More of an "average" sized tarantula. 5-6" instead of 7-8" sometimes even 9" w/ the LP & Genic. Won't need quite as big of an enclosure. I'm thinking if I get a GBB I'll get one of those 12x12x12 Tarantula Cribs. If I get a Genic or LP, I'll probably get one of those 10x10x20 enclosures from Jamie's Tarantulas.

Like a bag o chips. Ya cant have just one.
Eh, unless you're planning on collecting mainly scorpions instead. Already have 2 scorps I got just recently, Desert Hairy Scorpion (H. arizonensis) and Devil Scorpion (P. spinigerus). Next is gonna be a tarantula, probably a GBB, and then I have 2 other scorps I can think of I might want. The Dune Scorpion (S. mesaensis) & Arizona Bark Scorpion (C. sculpturatus). Both scorpions and tarantulas are pretty cool, but I personally like scorpions more.