• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gazpacho

Pompchin

Hello,

I am a tarantula beginner, I have one male Curly Hair named Gazpacho. I believe he is about 18 months old, but his previous owner could not verify his age or where he came from.
A friend of mine received Gazpacho as a white elephant gift, and passed him on to me one year ago when she felt she could not give him the time and attention to properly care for him. November 21st is our Gotcha Day. She said she thought he was about 6 months the old when she gave him to me, and he had shed once by that time.
He has shed once again since I have had him, about 5 months ago as of writing this.
My boy loves to dig, and he has created a long tunnel along the side of his tank. He eats 1-2 large crickets per week. Most of his silk spinning is on the ground, the surface of his soil is covered in a layer.
I won't go into too much detail about his enclosure as I will be rehoming him soon. His enclosure is one designed for a climbing spider, not a digger, and I feel he has outgrown the width of space, with little use for the wasted vertical space.
Gazpacho is a very very nervous boy. Even just opening the lid to place his prey inside sends him ducking into his hide. I've read that prey should be offered at the end of forceps, but that just is not possible with him- he is so scared of human interaction. We have never attempted to hold him, and the only time i have handled him was to move him from the tiny hermit crab box the previous owner had him in, to his current enclosure. To feed him I leave the prey where he can see it and within an hour or two he will stalk and strike.
We have cats so Gazpacho is kept on top of a tall wardrobe where they cannot see him.

Pompchin

20230623_200935.jpg

GarField000

3 Year Member
Well you will find out soon enough. If he becomes a mature maile you will see the hooks on his front legs.
I hope they are wrong because than you can enjoy him/her a lot longer.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome to the forum & the hobby.

No, no need to offer food via forceps / tweezers. Just pop a live cricket in once a week & if it's not eaten within 24 hours, then remove it, as they can stress T's if left in.

Noodlelove

Hello,

I am a tarantula beginner, I have one male Curly Hair named Gazpacho. I believe he is about 18 months old, but his previous owner could not verify his age or where he came from.
A friend of mine received Gazpacho as a white elephant gift, and passed him on to me one year ago when she felt she could not give him the time and attention to properly care for him. November 21st is our Gotcha Day. She said she thought he was about 6 months the old when she gave him to me, and he had shed once by that time.
He has shed once again since I have had him, about 5 months ago as of writing this.
My boy loves to dig, and he has created a long tunnel along the side of his tank. He eats 1-2 large crickets per week. Most of his silk spinning is on the ground, the surface of his soil is covered in a layer.
I won't go into too much detail about his enclosure as I will be rehoming him soon. His enclosure is one designed for a climbing spider, not a digger, and I feel he has outgrown the width of space, with little use for the wasted vertical space.
Gazpacho is a very very nervous boy. Even just opening the lid to place his prey inside sends him ducking into his hide. I've read that prey should be offered at the end of forceps, but that just is not possible with him- he is so scared of human interaction. We have never attempted to hold him, and the only time i have handled him was to move him from the tiny hermit crab box the previous owner had him in, to his current enclosure. To feed him I leave the prey where he can see it and within an hour or two he will stalk and strike.
We have cats so Gazpacho is kept on top of a tall wardrobe where they cannot see him.
I don't hold or handle my kids. I love them dearly. They don't need it. And they don't fear me at all.

Latest posts