• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Future sling, OBT.. Heartbeatsofast

Chingz

3 Year Member
Well, actually I planned to buy a 2nd instar N.chromatus..
Accidentally won an OBT sling auction.
I am quite nervous actually.
I hope everything will be OK because I heard this one was speedy with hot attitude.
Attached is the pic from the seller.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-28-21-11-50.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-28-21-11-50.png
    643.6 KB · Views: 20

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations on winning an OBT. Yes, they have a bad reputation but as long as you treat it with respect, you'll be fine. When you need to open the container, do it while the OBT is in hiding and invest in some tongs for maintenance, I use tweezers for the little ones but I have 12" ones for the adult. I find both my adult and sling will run and hide rather than turn and face me. I'm sure you'll come to enjoy having it :)

Chingz

3 Year Member
I
Congratulations on winning an OBT. Yes, they have a bad reputation but as long as you treat it with respect, you'll be fine. When you need to open the container, do it while the OBT is in hiding and invest in some tongs for maintenance, I use tweezers for the little ones but I have 12" ones for the adult. I find both my adult and sling will run and hide rather than turn and face me. I'm sure you'll come to enjoy having it :)
Thankyouuu...
'M just hoping to find it in better mood whenever I need to open the container for feeding and all. I heard slings mostly will hide. Well I hope it will give me time to adjust to the speed and all.
Dont want an escapee in my mom's jouse. Lolz

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I

Thankyouuu...
'M just hoping to find it in better mood whenever I need to open the container for feeding and all. I heard slings mostly will hide. Well I hope it will give me time to adjust to the speed and all.
Dont want an escapee in my mom's jouse. Lolz

One tip is to house it in a slightly larger container than you would normally put a sling in, that way you won't need to rehouse it as soon.

Chingz

3 Year Member
One tip is to house it in a slightly larger container than you would normally put a sling in, that way you won't need to rehouse it as soon.
Better to put higher peat, or only half and put an ice cream stick if it turns out to be a half arboreal?
Or all slings just want to hide?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I gave mine the option and both have used the extra height although they have burrowed too. My big girl, Zera, was a juvenile when I got her and she went into a 12"x12"x18" ExoTerra and she webbed right down the back corner then constructed a cave at the bottom. She still uses the full height of the terrarium. The sling I've got I put in a 4" cube and she has built an almost identical home with 2 entrances one at the top and one at ground level.

DSCF7582.JPG

Looking down you can see both entrances, one at the top in the corner then the other under the canopy of web
DSCF7583.JPG

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Well, actually I planned to buy a 2nd instar N.chromatus..
Accidentally won an OBT sling auction.
I am quite nervous actually.
I hope everything will be OK because I heard this one was speedy with hot attitude.
Attached is the pic from the seller.
Great advice already given. If ur worried about its speed and aggressiveness, put it in something completely clear with clear lid so u can always look for it before opening it. Also if u put it in something with some space between the substrate and the lid, it'll give u that space when opening to feed or do maintenance

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm beginning to wonder if all these reports of bad tempered OBTs came about because people wanted to hold them and stressed them out. Now, because we tend to leave them alone, we're seeing their true nature.
u might be right enn...although I have see a lot of videos where people are just trying to get a water dish or something out and they get bum rushed...lol

Chingz

3 Year Member
I saw some videos about these OBTs. They made a loud PRAKK.. PRAKKK sound with their legs when angry. Wow. Hahahhaha..
I alreasy asked my seller to give me the calmest sling in her collection since it will be my 2nd T.. XD
I planned to put it in a circle jar and put a 330ml mineral water cup upside down in the middle to make the T dig around the jar's side so I can see what its doing..
My javan did that and dug around excitedly, so I think about doing the same with this OBT sling.
I am still open to suggestion for enclosure tho. Because the jar's cap was solid red.

Chingz

3 Year Member
And should I put rocks or fake leaves for decoration too?
Or anything is just fine for the sling?
I heard they like it dry for the peat, is that true?

Chingz

3 Year Member
Next question.
You all saw the future enclosure that will be sent.
Will it be OK if I only open it on Friday and Sunday? Would my sling die because of lack of Oxygen?
I dont have the tools to make a hole on the hard plastic like that.
Because I have to leave house for a week and can only visit and feed on those days...
Thankyou for reading and supporting me so far..

Last edited:

Chingz

3 Year Member
Dry coir (Eco-Earth) would be best IMO, wet only one side and mist once or twice a week... They're furious webbers, always busy, in fact they sometimes seem to be planning an escape route with their web lol! OBTs are hardy so you should have no problem with husbandry :) I'm sure you'll grow to love the little fella... You could curl a fake leaf as a hide to begin with but it'll be webbed up in no time lol
I only have cocopeat. Lolz.
The I will have to be extra careful when opening the tube. Cannot have an escapee in my parent's house. Lolz.
I hope she'll send me the most docile one. Hahaha..
Will try to find something to decorate the enclo.

Casperroux

3 Year Member
Such an Amazing T wish i couldve kept one but i do need a license and its so hard to get...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's not much I can add here except mine has NEVER gave me a threat pose although it did try to run away and I instinctively put my hand down and calmly put it back in lol! I'd never recommend trying to handle these though but if you treat them with respect and give them space they are great Ts to have... :) Very beautiful animals too!
Well said. can't argue with any of that ☺

Latest posts