• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time Tarantula owner

Cody Fleming

3 Year Member
Hi there!

I'm a first time T owner, and I am loving it so far! I'm new to this, obviously, so I have a couple of questions. Anyone willing to help is greatly appreciated.

I bought a Striped Knee T, and I'm concerned. (Sex unknown) my T has a smaller abdomen than what most depictions of Ts I've seen ( it's not shriveled, just small). Also, I've noticed that my T has developed a bald spot on it's abdomen. I understand that this type of T uses it's hairs in defense, but I don't see any reason for it to be acting in defense in this amount, cause the bald spot is pretty big. I also know that means it could be close to molting, but again, being new, it's all quite concerning.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hair kicking could be a moult coming but if you've just got the T it could simply be from the stress of moving it. If the bald spot begins to darken it will most likely be due to moult.
If you could post a photo of your T it would help regarding the abdomen size and how big is your T?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum cody...Sounds like it could be dehydrated? Sometimes a freshly molted T will have a significantly smaller abdomen then usual but yours having a bald spot it's probably not the case. Just make sure it has fresh water and if it's accepting food then I wouldn't worry too much, it will get fatter. As for the bald spot more than likely just stressed out and kicked em all off, wich will go back to normal after its next molt.

Cody Fleming

3 Year Member
T is accepting food, and drinking regularly. I clean out the water dish and introduce clean water daily (even though the water dish in the photo hasn't been cleaned yet, lol) I would guess a length between 3 and 4 inches as far as leg span

20170919_234018.jpg

Attachments

• 20170916_015337.jpg
    20170916_015337.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20171022_101436.jpg
    20171022_101436.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is good your tarantula is getting better. Looking at the pictures what does the enclosure look like? Also what kind of substrate is that?

Latest posts