• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding slings?

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I've read a bit on feeding slings, and whether or not you can feed them too much; the general consensus of what I read being that you can't overfeed a sling.
However, I have heard that being overfed or too fat around a molt can be dangerous. Is this true? If so, do I need to purposefully limit the amount my sling eats as it's going into molt, or will the usual pre-molt fast be enough?

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Saw the one about the B. auratum sling, but that was about one that wasn't eating due to probably being in pre-molt...
I'm wondering if it is dangerous for me to continue feeding my sling as it approaches a molt prior to/if it doesn't stop eating on its own?

I think it may be approaching a molt, as the abdomen is pretty big; I fed it on-schedule this week, but I just wanted some input as to whether it is safe to continue feeding it on schedule if a molt is coming up (I'm mainly wondering if the size of the abdomen is okay).

Ohmu

3 Year Member
Well, I`m really inexperienced in this hobby, but I currently have 1 sling, B. Emilia, and last month I have fed it with buffalo worms like once per 2 days, during like 2 weeks, he/she got really fat, but molted fine after all. So I`ll probably keep feed it intensively, cause "kids" need to eat much to grow strong :D

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I've fed all my slings until they look like there gonna burst ive never had any problems ive always power fed slings also and never had any problems what so ever I suppose it's what experience the individual keeper has had

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Thanks for the responses!

I know I'm probably over-worrying, but this is my first sling so I'm a bit paranoid about letting something sneak up on me. Better to ask than not ask and be wrong about something :)

Poec54

3 Year Member
For a good growth rate, keep slings warm, have water always available, and feed them 2 or 3 times a week. Keep them cool and feed them once every 2 weeks, and growth will be much slower. Slings are driven to eat all they can, so they can grow more at each molt. The faster they get up to size, the fewer predators can eat them, and the sooner they can reproduce.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
+1 to Poec advice.

However, I have heard that being overfed or too fat around a molt can be dangerous. Is this true?

A very fat T has a higher probability of causing damage to itself from sharp objects or damage from a fall due to the fact the abdomen is bigger and tighter than usual, although normally a T would be less active during pre-molt. A decent enclosure and knowledge of the T you have is essential to avoid any mishaps.

Many times, on these forums, a picture is worth a thousand words. Your fat and my fat might be two very different things. :)

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Many times, on these forums, a picture is worth a thousand words. Your fat and my fat might be two very different things. :)

Wish I could put up a pic! I've been wanting to get a pic for sexing for several days now. Unfortunately my camera is MIA...