• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Question

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
I just purchased a G. Rosea on the 6th, so about a couple of days ago. I really think it is a matured male, but don't hold it against me. But when I got him and transferred him to his permanent tank he was posing a lot of threat displays and he would tap my tongs. Its like he would literally come after my tongs. I have NEVER seen this before. I know your not suppose to feed them right away but I dropped two crickets in there and he took both of them out in no time, and proceeded to spin so silk on the sub floor. He even did a little happy dance. The next day, he did the same thing, just came after my tongs, so I once again dropped a meal worm this time and BAM he took it out too! Yesterday same thing, he ate another cricket!! He has consumed 4 meals in a couple of days. Is this healthy? Did the place my mom bought him from ever feed him? Should I give him a break of food? Or keep offering it? Just need a little help to make sure my T's are happy and healthy. Thank you all! :D

Sabeth

3 Year Member
A tarantula's instinct is to grab whatever prey is nearby, since it has no way of knowing when its next meal will come along. This instinct will drive a T to eat and eat in captivity since the feast never ends! If it is fed enough, though, there will come a point where it just won't be able to eat anymore. A lot of pet Ts actually end up obese, which is probably not healthy! Tarantulas can thrive just fine on 6-8 crickets per month. This is the regimen I use for my B. smithi, although if I have a few extra crickets I don't want to see go to waste, I will just toss them in for her. :p I've also had her come after my paintbrush like a mad bull. Seriously, she collides with it and it actually makes a noise. She's moving too fast for me to see if her fangs are ever involved, but her freaky behavior is enough to keep me from ever touching her with a bare hand before first testing her with some object that will put some distance between us!

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
A tarantula's instinct is to grab whatever prey is nearby, since it has no way of knowing when its next meal will come along. This instinct will drive a T to eat and eat in captivity since the feast never ends! If it is fed enough, though, there will come a point where it just won't be able to eat anymore. A lot of pet Ts actually end up obese, which is probably not healthy! Tarantulas can thrive just fine on 6-8 crickets per month. This is the regimen I use for my B. smithi, although if I have a few extra crickets I don't want to see go to waste, I will just toss them in for her. :p I've also had her come after my paintbrush like a mad bull. Seriously, she collides with it and it actually makes a noise. She's moving too fast for me to see if her fangs are ever involved, but her freaky behavior is enough to keep me from ever touching her with a bare hand before first testing her with some object that will put some distance between us!

Thank you! I really appreciate it! I thought the same thing too, I don't want him to be obese, but then again I want him to be full and comfortable and not always pacing for food. I guess I have to get to know him more and he has to get to know me too. And I always test my T's out whenever I am in their territory, its just respect. Thank you again! :D

Latest posts