• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeder flies setup

303jumpers

Hello! I am new here and happy to be here. I am recently in care of two phidippus audax jumpers. The realize this is mostly for Ts but I’m researching on blue bottle spikes for feeders. I bought a pick of larvae flies of online and have been incubating some in an old Tupperware with a moist paper towel. The Tupperware and paper towel are all inside of a ziplock freezer bag with breathing holes . I keep this in my fish tank canopy so it stays warm and humid. But it’s not enough. My flies hatch and some aren’t healthy. Others don’t live long. One of my jumpers seems to only prefer flies for meals vs crickets or worms. So, i am needing to keep a small population of flies on hand for food. I am curious if there are any threads here about raising flies and keeping them alive.

I appreciate the help! Thank you!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I used to buy maggots (castors,) I think they are called, from a fishing shop. These I kept in a fridge & just removed a couple every few days to keep a supply of flies going.

If you want to raise flies, then be warned rotting meat is the best medium. So it is much better to simply buy the maggots & just let them develop.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just to add. I used a couple of small waxworm containers, to develop the maggots in, at room temprature. Then all I needed to do, was put that into my Mantids enclosure & take the lid off & let it/them fly out.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You didn’t need to regulate temp or humidity? I’ve read that can be important.

I did not. I took the view that they survive & thrive in the UK. So they shouldn't need anything different to normal UK conditions.