• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exporting a few pet Ts from UK to USA

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi all, out of interest, is it possible to export a dozen Ts from U.K. to USA, Arizona, they are pets, and there’s also two Typhochlaena seladonia which i think might be tricky. Anyone exported before here? And who does one do it and where do you start?
Obviuosly not at the moment, would be a year or so away. Could I take them with me as luggage, declared of course.
thanks, odd question I know!:D

E

ExMember

You would definitely need permits. I'd contact US fish and game. Don't want to just bring them in luggage for sure. Most keepers would probably sell their collection and start new. But if you have T seladonia I could see why you wouldn't. Would be pricey though.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you for the reply, yes, I want to do everything by the books of course, and dont want to risk anything but just wondered if anyone had done this much.
that’s the thing, I could find homes for many but the Selodonia really are special and doing well here too. Shame to leave them. Thanks again.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for the reply, yes, I want to do everything by the books of course, and dont want to risk anything but just wondered if anyone had done this much.
that’s the thing, I could find homes for many but the Selodonia really are special and doing well here too. Shame to leave them. Thanks again.
I was going to sell at one point my whole for sale list to a US member but as I looked in to it, simply not feasible. Permits needed, travel time is also long (so no guarantee of survival) and depending on which state, they are even more stringent. I think as per @Brachyfan says, sell up and start a whole new adventure with the potential for different species less readily available in the UK.
Better all round IMHO hun.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@Phil thanks Phil, I guess that puts it into perspective, just too much work and a lot of hassle and no guarantees they survive..oh dear.. soooo I wonder if I could ever find a home for say... a Biru or a Selodonia :rolleyes: I wonder;)
Thanks again, that answers any doubts or possible thoughts I would have, Cheers.

E

ExMember

@Phil Definitely true about the difference in availability. Canada really sucks for that. Can't even get G rosea here or H chilensis but way easier access to T seladonia. The US is kinda harsh with the lacey act as importing Brazilian spiders is a no go. But there are lots of captive bred tarantulas.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Phil Definitely true about the difference in availability. Canada really sucks for that. Can't even get G rosea here or H chilensis but way easier access to T seladonia. The US is kinda harsh with the lacey act as importing Brazilian spiders is a no go. But there are lots of captive bred tarantulas.
do the captive bred spiders all have to carry certificates when trading or not? When we have some European breeders visit the UK at our larger Shows (expos) some issue certificates of transfer to UK but when I have purchased from Europe and delivered to UK, no paperwork is provided so all a bit hit and miss really*

*with excpetion of some spiders I have purchased with CITES certificates which are supposed to follow the spider if moved on.

E

ExMember

do the captive bred spiders all have to carry certificates when trading or not? When we have some European breeders visit the UK at our larger Shows (expos) some issue certificates of transfer to UK but when I have purchased from Europe and delivered to UK, no paperwork is provided so all a bit hit and miss really*

*with excpetion of some spiders I have purchased with CITES certificates which are supposed to follow the spider if moved on.
The only ones I know for sure are mexican species. All my Brachypelma and the mexican variant of Aphonopelma calchodes I have were CB so no certificates. But our biggest dealer/breeder does get a lot of spiders from Jorje Mendoza at TOM facility and they all come with the paperwork.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It would be difficult and there is no way Brazilian species are going to make it across. It would take a lot of legalities and money to do it properly. There are those in Europe that export to the states as well as a few legal importers here in the states, but I'm not sure if imports of some species could work that way for some species.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi all, out of interest, is it possible to export a dozen Ts from U.K. to USA, Arizona, they are pets, and there’s also two Typhochlaena seladonia which i think might be tricky. Anyone exported before here? And who does one do it and where do you start?
Obviuosly not at the moment, would be a year or so away. Could I take them with me as luggage, declared of course.
thanks, odd question I know!:D
It is possible. At least was some years ago when I did it. Contact Fish and Wildlife...
Good luck! :T:

Latest posts