• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Escapee" 90 minutes of freedom.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
2AM feeding and I reversed the normal pattern this time beginning with the SA and adults, everything went smoothly.
Slings were going well, last was the 2 P. cambridgei, roughly 3/4" in size. I checked the enclosure for its location, prior to opening the lid as I always do. Ahh.. its under the silk leaf I set on top of the substrate. Lift off the lid slowly, barely 1" and drop the cricket inside. Cricket bolts into the webbing along the side and before I can react little booger flies out to freedom. I lost sight of it when I went to grab the nearby catch cup. Not panicking, I fed the other one.
Placing all the enclosures back into the "slingubator", I began the search to recapture. Carefully checking and moving the large enclosures I find it. Big problem, it got into the enclosure, by way of a vent hole of a 4+" G. porteri female. After removing the porteri and cricket w/o spooking the sling, it walked right into the catch cup . Placed back into its enclosure, ran and hid under the leaf and saw a fresh exuvium beside it.
My lesson: Don't change routines.
Btw, 1st escape ever in nearly 20 years. My record is broken. [emoji24]

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Glad you caught it before it got eaten but I'm sorry your long standing record has been broken. It just goes to show they can catch any one of us out.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Glad you caught it before it got eaten but I'm sorry your long standing record has been broken. It just goes to show they can catch any one of us out.
Thanks. I was relieved to say the least.
I still have "never been bitten " record intact...:knocking on wood:. [emoji3]

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Wow, glad you caught him. 20 years with no escapes is pretty good though!
Thank you.
I wrote the escape date on its data sheet and circled it. Lol!
Fed it a small roach this morning, since it missed its meal yesterday. Attacked with vengeance, removed the molt while it ate. [emoji4]