• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure Decor

Jordan Bean

3 Year Member
I have a brachy albopilosum and I've been meaning to deck out her enclosure for a while now. At the moment she's got half a plastic flower pot, substrate and a thermometer in it. It's a bit dull. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her home a bit fancier without causing her any discomfort?

swimbait

3 Year Member
Can always add fake plants and such, just keep in mind the Ts comfort level and how many hiding spots you may be creating for prey.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i personally like to glue a lot of peat moss onto the cork bark i put in. it helps retain humidity a little bit and looks really cool like a mossed up log in the washington state forests.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i personally like to glue a lot of peat moss onto the cork bark i put in. it helps retain humidity a little bit and looks really cool like a mossed up log in the washington state forests.
that's a great idea!

rénee

3 Year Member
IMO i think having the least you can have in the enclosure is enough, i had my G. roseas cage all fancied up.. i found that when i dropped a cricket in and it wasn't gone in roughly 24 hours i would have to almost take everything out just to find the stupid thing.. hence forth i was bugging her every time, causing her stress over and over. I eventually took everything out, and i have a hide(which she has never even touched), a piece of bark leaned against the glass, and then a fake plant that is suctioned to the wall and kind of drapes over the log, she sticks behind the log and has created webs around her.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMO i think having the least you can have in the enclosure is enough, i had my G. roseas cage all fancied up.. i found that when i dropped a cricket in and it wasn't gone in roughly 24 hours i would have to almost take everything out just to find the stupid thing.. hence forth i was bugging her every time, causing her stress over and over. I eventually took everything out, and i have a hide(which she has never even touched), a piece of bark leaned against the glass, and then a fake plant that is suctioned to the wall and kind of drapes over the log, she sticks behind the log and has created webs around her.
We did the same thing when we first started the hobby for my son's GBB. Cork bark, plant, decorative sea shells, and even a buddah statue for a while lol. took it all out but the plant, cork bark, and water dish. With all that decor she couldn't get to the crickets.

rénee

3 Year Member
We did the same thing when we first started the hobby for my son's GBB. Cork bark, plant, decorative sea shells, and even a buddah statue for a while lol. took it all out but the plant, cork bark, and water dish. With all that decor she couldn't get to the crickets.
Such a pain lol, not to mention stressful for her, all i have now is the hide, water dish, 1 plant and a piece of wood leaned against the glass:p

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it can really depend on the species you're building the enclosure for. With species that web a lot for example, I don't bother giving them lots of decor, since they're likely going to just web over it all.

rénee

3 Year Member
I think it can really depend on the species you're building the enclosure for. With species that web a lot for example, I don't bother giving them lots of decor, since they're likely going to just web over it all.
Wouldn't you want more decor (obviously not an abundance) for anchor points? I'm thinking arboreal here, not sure if we're referring to terrestrials.

I don't mean to question your expertise or anything lmao, I always love hearing your output on things. Just out of curiosity for future arboreals I'll have/do have

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the more decent looking plastic plants and rocks( I like white flat rocks or high boulders ) and moss, the better. If they web it up it just looks even nicer, like a haunted forest, or a scene out of LoTR.. If prey escapes, it won't be for very long. To me, when you just give a tarantula a hide and a dish, you're not giving it any natural cover to hide in or build on if it wants to. Personally, I like seeing them interact with their environment, and change it to suit them.

rénee

3 Year Member
I think the more decent looking plastic plants and rocks( I like white flat rocks or high boulders ) and moss, the better. If they web it up it just looks even nicer, like a haunted forest, or a scene out of LoTR.. If prey escapes, it won't be for very long. To me, when you just give a tarantula a hide and a dish, you're not giving it any natural cover to hide in or build on if it wants to. Personally, I like seeing them interact with their environment, and change it to suit them.
Lol like LoTR, I agree it looks better, I guess with me having my g.rosea and her being in Pre-molt and not knowing when she would molt was frustrating, I would drop in a cricket thinking she wasn't too far into pre-molt yet and would still eat, and then worrying it would either die and mold up somewhere I couldn't find it, or she would go into molt and then the cricket piss her off. But I think that maybe once you have an understanding of your T's feeding schedule and understand your t's molt cycles you could have a better more natural layout! I really do wish I could have more in it, but still being a noob for better terms I think I will keep it simple till I have a better understanding of my T :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol like LoTR, I agree it looks better, I guess with me having my g.rosea and her being in Pre-molt and not knowing when she would molt was frustrating, I would drop in a cricket thinking she wasn't too far into pre-molt yet and would still eat, and then worrying it would either die and mold up somewhere I couldn't find it, or she would go into molt and then the cricket piss her off. But I think that maybe once you have an understanding of your T's feeding schedule and understand your t's molt cycles you could have a better more natural layout! I really do wish I could have more in it, but still being a noob for better terms I think I will keep it simple till I have a better understanding of my T :)
exaclty. Plus all mine are little slings still, that will need a minimum of 2 more enclosures as they grow (thinking the GBB as she's almost 3" now) so i'm keeping it simple as they grow through the enclosures, then I plan on making their final home as realistic as possible.

Latest posts