• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dumb question

rénee

3 Year Member
So I use to have a heat mat on half of the enclosure, I recently took it off because I have read enough and have been told enough to be turned off of it.

So when I had the heat mat on, cynthia would just sit in one spot barely moving pretty much, now that I have turned it off she seems to be more lively? Is that good, or is she kind of trying to find that heat source again? The temp in her enclosure is about 73, with the heat may it was 76.

Probably a dumb question/statement, just curios as to why now that she has less heat she is more active, maybe she was almost too warm?

Meludox

3 Year Member
I can't really answer your question, however my G. rosea used to do the same thing when I used a red heat lamp a while ago. She would sit directly under it and when I turned it off she would move all around her enclosure.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Yeah, as they are poikilothermic animals (= cold blood), they are attracted by warmth, even to the point of risking to burn themselves (things like this have happened with people who kept a light bulb inside the enclosure). Yours was probably fine with the added warmth of the heat mat, but these devices risks to dry the enclosure too much, that's why they are not recommended. 73 F°is fine, no problems.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
So I use to have a heat mat on half of the enclosure, I recently took it off because I have read enough and have been told enough to be turned off of it.

So when I had the heat mat on, cynthia would just sit in one spot barely moving pretty much, now that I have turned it off she seems to be more lively? Is that good, or is she kind of trying to find that heat source again? The temp in her enclosure is about 73, with the heat may it was 76.

Probably a dumb question/statement, just curios as to why now that she has less heat she is more active, maybe she was almost too warm?

There are no dumb questions ;)

rénee

3 Year Member
Haha thanks guys, I figured it wasn't anything too serious just thought it was odd and if I should be turning it back on, but as I've read, the temperature is in the right place :)

micheldied

3 Year Member
You shouldn't have any problems with 73F. The area right around the heat mat was likely higher than 76F.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to be leery of heat mats, but from what I hear, if you use them properly, with a thermostat and a probe directly on the mat, it's safe enough. Just throwing it out there. Also, I have a 5 inch subadult vagans that was attracted to the heat from my roach colonies mat, and was always out. When I moved her, she took to her cave, and now only comes out at night..so they have other uses I suppose..