• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dry spot on abdomen??

kakalakjak

Hi! My GBB has had this persistent dry looking spot on her abdomen. Each molt, it remains. I'm trying to increase the humidity in her enclosure now to see if that helps. Wondering if anyone here can diagnose the issue and help solve? This photo was taken after a recent molt, so it can't be signs of premolt.
IMG_4651.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi! My GBB has had this persistent dry looking spot on her abdomen. Each molt, it remains. I'm trying to increase the humidity in her enclosure now to see if that helps. Wondering if anyone here can diagnose the issue and help solve? This photo was taken after a recent molt, so it can't be signs of premolt. View attachment 49440
Hello
That isn't a dry patch on your T it's a mirror patch it's common in a lot of new world species and despite what it looks like its not a bald patch it's an area of reflective uricating hairs.. In the wild the mirror patch serves as a visual warning to preditors that the tarantula has a defensive mechanism :)
Please don't increase the humidity as GBBs like a dry environment with just a water dish I wouldnt advise handling in any form either :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well that’s a relief! Thanks for the education on that.
Why do you recommend not handling?
Tarantulas don't understand the concept of handling... They have limited eyesight and work on feel and vibration therefore you can end up getting bitten without intent also the spider can fall when handling and being so soft bodied any fall can result in their death, handling is for human benefit only it does nothing for the spider and only puts them at risk - hope that clears things up :)

Latest posts