• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does molting get rid of internal parasites

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, I noticed this on facebook. A company is selling female T. stirmi and while not specifically stated, it sounds like WC.

"Looking for a big spider to add to your collection? We have just added some hold back Theraphosa stirmi females to the website! These have all molted in our care and there is no chance of an internal parasite!"

I have copied and pasted the wording (except the ") My question is whether internal parasites are removed with a molt. I would think that would depend on where the parasite infects its host.

I am hoping this prompts some discussions as this and other forums seem slow these days. I initially thought the end of summer start of school in some area may play a part, but there is also a lot going on in the world. Some of it not good.

Cheers!

Tarantulafeets

I would think no, as molting would only remove the skin, not everything inside as well. Here is a thread of when my G pulchra sling got infected with nematodes, even after it molted and ate post molt in my care.
It could have been from feeders, but everyone else seems fine, and they all eat from the same roach colony.