• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do tarantulas benefit from sunshine?

ryanm7277

Should we as keepers give them some sunlight? Scientific studies/proofs please and thanks or personal experience? I notice when my windows are open some of my spiders go to the holes towards the open window, so curiously but an enclosure in the window expecting a run from the sunlight to see my spider walk over to the sun and bath in it for a bit?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know about scientific studies but my 17 year old Brachypelma hamorii definitely likes the sun. It only catches the corner of her tank but as soon as the sun hits it she's there. Today it's cloudy so she has stayed on top of her hide.

Ted 1968

Should we as keepers give them some sunlight? Scientific studies/proofs please and thanks or personal experience? I notice when my windows are open some of my spiders go to the holes towards the open window, so curiously but an enclosure in the window expecting a run from the sunlight to see my spider walk over to the sun and bath in it for a bit?
Varies By Species for sure .. My B. albiceps always moves towards the sunlight.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m almost certain it has to do with the warmth. Have you ever wondered why many recommend against heat mats, particularly on the bottom of the enclosure? The tarantula will burrow down to where the heat is coming from. The same could be said for the heat from the sunlight, which means the tarantula would likely try to get closer to the heat source.

To answer your question, no I do not think they benefit from sunlight. It is simply a tarantula seeking out warmth.

Heretic

All creature who live in sunlight require it. Its a biological thing. As long as the food source contains the necessary vitamins actual light is not needed, but the animal will still behave as if it needs it. Trap door spiders will not seek light because its not a biolgical need they have gained over the course of evolution, but most non-fossorials will. Humans have genetic code that is broken and no longer work, which is why we must eat citrus. The genes that produce the needed vitamin have been disabled by evolution. We have the genes, they just dont work. The same is true for creatures and sunlight. When more studies are done on Ts, we will know for sure which need sunlight and which do not. Funny thing is I am betting even some Arboreal dont "need" sunlight.

Latest posts